[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does cyberpunk have to be dystopian or can it be antiutopian?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Neuromancer_(Book).jpg (55KB, 392x651px) Image search: [Google]
Neuromancer_(Book).jpg
55KB, 392x651px
Does cyberpunk have to be dystopian or can it be antiutopian?
>>
>>9477154
literally who gives a fuck
>>
>>9477154
these are synonyms

also cyberpunk can be neutral. But it can't be utopian
>>
>>9477154

How are these not the same? Besides, if it's punk, it implies low life: there is futurism (the contemporary trend and not the italian movement) for everything else that does not imply low life.

That said, it doesn't have to be all out dystopian, but cyberpunk must invariably point out the problematic aspects that remain, or even arise out of, high tech.
>>
>>9477282
No, not really. Antiutopia is a society that seems like a utopia on the surface but actually usually turns that it controls the minds of its subjects somehow or manipulates them. Kind of like Orwell or Huxley where most people will be actually happy to some degree but when the characters are confronted with information about what life could be they see how it really is. On the other hand dystopia is just one a society has degenerated, the governement is week, corporations gain too much power, people are dying on the streets etc.

Both want to show a society which is bad, but one is more controlled and one is more chaotic.
>>9477202
Me for one, and a lot of people that claimed a certain work wasn't cyberpunk because it featured a dystopian and not antiutopian society.
>>
>>9477344
You say what Orwell and Huxley wrote were antiutopian? Because that would clarify a lot, and would even change wikipedia failed attempt at explaining the situation with cyberprep https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_derivatives#Cyberprep
>>
>>9477344

In light of your explanation it would seem to me all cyberpunk is dystopian.

One's antiutopia might as well be utopia in the eyes of some. The alphas remain in favor of the status quo even though they are able to "think freely" in Huxley for example, and the dissidents know they are not to be killed but rather banished to go their own way in their "problematic" non-conformist island.

Cyberpunk however usually implies no sugarcoating of suffering: the punk part has to be all out.
>>
>>9478537
>Cyberpunk however usually implies no sugarcoating of suffering: the punk part has to be all out.
This is why I take cyberpunk anytime
>>
>>9478537
I'm just wondering then, did all stories by Gibson or cyberpunk authors feature dystopian societies? Or were some of them antiutopian?
>>
>>9478790
I haven't read all of Gibsons work but the post jackpot world in The Peripheral could be seen as antiutopian.
>>
>>9478814
*post-jackpot
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.