[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1492221569073.png (975KB, 739x772px) Image search: [Google]
1492221569073.png
975KB, 739x772px
Just started getting into reading again, but don't where to start. Outside of the /lit/ top 100 is there a rateyourmusic or letterboxd equivalent for books to guide me?
>>
>>9476723
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/western-canon
http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
>>
>>9476723

Might as well post that there too:

Is it necessary to begin with The Greek to begin with the /lit/'s world ?

I don't want to read greek myths, I'd like to read some classic meme, the most famous pieces of work done and from there, find my way up to more discreet books, and maybe come back to the greek.

Is it very problematic to start with the most famous book (things like Hugo, Hemingway, Poe etc.) instead of what is advised by /lit/ ?

I want to take up reading as a hobby, is it also wrong if I begin with meme shit tier like Harry Potter (I like reading them from time to time and it could ease the setting up of the hobby) or should I man up and get my hands dirty with more "classic" books ?
>>
>>9476723
GREEKS
R
E
E
K
S

>>
File: 1024px-Raleigh_downtown_skyline.jpg (181KB, 1024x708px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Raleigh_downtown_skyline.jpg
181KB, 1024x708px
>>9476723
http://explorer.opensyllabusproject.org/
>>
harry potter got me into reading so you can start with that? Unless you're looking for fiction
>>
>>9476752
Start with Beowulf then
>>
>>9476752
>Is it necessary to begin with The Greek to begin with the /lit/'s world ?
No
>Is it very problematic to start with the most famous book (things like Hugo, Hemingway, Poe etc.) instead of what is advised by /lit/ ?
No
>I want to take up reading as a hobby, is it also wrong if I begin with meme shit tier like Harry Potter
No

Read whatever you seems interesting and enjoyable to you dude.
>>
>>9478099
This
>>
>>9478099
This guy is for real, no trolling, no childish comment, mature and well disciplined. I bet this is the kind of guy that takes cold showers in the morning, then goes to work and when he comes back he has his wife made some good food on the table with his children and have good time on the beach. not like this other poverty people trolling every thread because they're on their cooldown of orgasming to hentiai(cartoon but t nudes from taiwan)
>>
>>9476752
it's not ideal but it won't totally fuck you either. my advice is to read something really fun and engaging and in your interests. like scifi? ender's game. want something more thoughtful? flowers for algernon or cat's cradle or whatever

i got into reading as a kid because reading was really fun. i enjoyed being able to put myself in totally new situations and empathize with the characters and stuff. there's a lot, i mean, a LOT of elitism in reading communities. don't pay attention to any of it. once you start thinking in shoulds all the fun will evaporate instantly

if you want some recs i'm happy to drop them on you
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.