[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a worse publisher?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14

File: m2Q65RzV.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
m2Q65RzV.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
Is there a worse publisher?
>>
>>9476611
I'm looking at my shelf and can't find any books by them. What's wrong with them?
>>
>>9476616

Look at their author list
>>
File: Screenshot_20170507-144027~01.png (750KB, 1414x2411px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170507-144027~01.png
750KB, 1414x2411px
My fucking sides
>>
I unironically like Verso and own a few of their books.
>>
>>9476611

Fuck off you pleb, it should not be in the least surprising that publishers are sometimes political in the sense of publishing books from related authors on related topics, nor is it a secret when they do so.

You come in here acting like youve discovered something but only to invite a politics ( non lit) debate.
>>
>>9476642

They publish literal shit, that's the problem. It has nothing to do with political orientation
>>
>>9476648

This. They published that retard from the Atlantic.

>muh reparations
>>
CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.

I also have a thing against the Russian publisher Eksmo for making their classic literature series look kind of nice (like they're leatherbound) but have them made out of pulp paper and cardboard. Pic related.

There's also the Russian publisher/series Library of World Literature that publishes decent hardcovers but they're really expensive where I live in the U.S. but at least they're available in my state.
>>
File: virile_virilio.jpg (9KB, 326x500px) Image search: [Google]
virile_virilio.jpg
9KB, 326x500px
>>9476648
you just hate shit taste, m8

verso has done some good stuff, sorry you only know how to knee-jerk
>>
>>9476611
good publisher actually, especially in terms of their book designs and print quality. i don't care for most of what they release but they have a large back catalogue of theory not available from other English-language publishers
>>
>>9476669

Yes I do hate shit taste, glad that was apparent

You unfortunately have shit taste and there's no cure for that
>>
>>9476611
University of Chicago Press, Oxford University Press, Princeton University Press, Polity, Duke University Press (Awful), and Stanford are all promoted in the NYRB, and all obsess over the travails of Jews, Women, and Blacks over and over. How many fucking Non-fiction books on black feminist struggle can you afford to publish every month, and still sell?

What surprises me is how patrician NYRB publishing is compared to the trash they write and promote in the review itself.
>>
>>9476679
>Duke University Press
this press is especially bad, they publish nothing but 'critical' race/gender theory and the occasional good book like the one on Chantal Akerman, or Frederic Jameson
>>
>>9476648

You sound like you want others to indulge your dislike of a certain set of political ideas. There are better places for that than lit. Why do i get the feeling youve never read a Verso published book?
>>
>>9476679
what are some good academic publishing houses? I've found Cambridge to be consistent
>>
>>9476698

Better question: why aee you pretending to be the kind of person who cares this much about publishing quality?
>>
File: verso.jpg (141KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
verso.jpg
141KB, 325x500px
>>9476678
back to /pol/

>>9476698
i like MIT press
>>
>>9476686
Holy shit
>go to DukeUPress website
>go to browse their linguistics section because I'm that kind of autist
>first thing I see is "Sociophonetics and Sexuality"

>go to Middle East history/studies
>"A Themed Section on Egyptian Women Writers and Feminism"
>"Journal of Middle East Women's Studies"
>Postcolonialism
>"Gendered Memory of North Africa"
>"Middle East Sexualities"

I just want academic literature on the Islamic Golden Ages, man :^(
>>
>>9476713

Then read Bernard Lewis and his bibliographies, what the fuck are you doing looking for learning texts in contemporary academic journals?
>>
>>9476679

Oxford classics are good
>>
>>9476713

Duke is good for basketball and medicine. Other than that don't bother
>>
File: Crw-E-jWgAAoifD.jpg (102KB, 1200x825px) Image search: [Google]
Crw-E-jWgAAoifD.jpg
102KB, 1200x825px
>>9476676
plus they're bargain for the quality they offer, especially during special sales where everything is >40 % off. got one of these for 5 quid.

Verso recommendations ?
>>
>>9476713

God dammit you see this shit? You people dont know what to do once youre ready to go beyond wikipedia because you did BS citations in high school.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (47KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
47KB, 450x300px
plus they have a complete collection of the slovenian sniffing man, beautiful !
>>
>>9476732
most of the Radical Thinkers series is worth reading
some others that come to mind:
The Critique of Everyday Life by Henri Lefebvre
Vertical by Stephen Graham
The Modernist Papers by Frederic Jameson
Walter Benjamin's Archive
>>
>>9476707

Back to /lit/
>>
I like that they do 50% off sales fairly frequently. Their Frankfurt school collection is very good.

I've never had a particularly strong opinion of any book publisher if I'm honest. I imagine 99% of the rest of the board shares this opinion. Perhaps you spend too much time thinking about publishing houses and not the books they publish, my boy.
>>
>>9476804
>I've never had a particularly strong opinion of any book publisher if I'm honest. I imagine 99% of the rest of the board shares this opinion

pretty much
>>
>>9476826
>>9476804
Oneworld is consistently excellent with a variety of different genres.

>>9476725

Bad attitude, Yale is good, and http://www.encounterbooks.com/books/ is promoted in The New Criterion
>>
>>9476739
Good covers too
>>
>>9476928
>http://www.encounterbooks.com/books/
this looks terrible
>>
>>9476669
funny how the "radical thinkers" series are all just relatively orthodox Marxists
>>
File: jhp58fdcaca5ff9c.jpg (142KB, 397x612px) Image search: [Google]
jhp58fdcaca5ff9c.jpg
142KB, 397x612px
Yes

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rEJaUdgPMRM
>>
>>9476633
>China Mieville is writing a book about the Russian Revolution
WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS
>>
Thinking about how much of this meaningless leftist babyshit all parroting the exact same talking points has been vomited out over the last couple of centuries is truly heartbreaking.
>>
>>9477042
>last couple of centuries
Good to see intelligence and an idea of scope aren't poisoning these forums anymore.
>>
>>9477018
nice tumblr caps
>>
>>9477047
Producing screeds of incoherent politics flavoured bullshit has been a cottage industry since the Victorian era. See: Marx. Obviously the phenomenon is older but it's picked up steam. The more leftists fail in reality the more they try to create another world out of ink it seems.
>>
verso is shit. listen to a real intellectual like cernovich or sargon, m y kekmeisters!!
>>
>>9477005
stopped watching when i realized this dumbass can't even pronounce Gramsci
>>
>>9476804

The books they publish are the reason the house is garbage. Frankfurt school is bottom of the barrel shit.
>>
>>9477093

Literally who
>>
>>9476611
Lots of them
>>
>>9476953
virilio isn't a marxist, you fucking retard
>>
>>9476928

>Bad attitude...

The point is that you have to be pretty up to speed on a subject before you can really make use of academic journals. Academic journals are a bad place for introductory information.
>>
>>9476611
We get it, you're politically conservative.
>>
File: IMG_0860.jpg (452KB, 543x840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0860.jpg
452KB, 543x840px
Don't really know much about these besides seeing them in bookstores lately. I appreciate the sentiment of publishing Australian classics but why the fuck can't they hire a decent coverist or graphic designer or something? I guarantee it would improve their sales and increase the esteem of what they're selling inestimably. Why the fuck is this country so mediocre reeee
>>
File: 1593672[1].jpg (18KB, 259x400px) Image search: [Google]
1593672[1].jpg
18KB, 259x400px
>>9479210
They would look like decent covers without that abomination at the bottom.
>>
>>9479210
Honestly, they're a fantastic publisher. They put out a bunch of great stuff that's been out of print for ages. The retail is like $13 too, they're budget.

They're my favourite publisher.
>>
>>9477382
read a fucking book you cunt
>>
>>9479210
>>9479225
also, both of these books are great - you should be happy
>>
>>9479240
...that they're being republished at all - text are reestablishing a market for Australian fiction. Like they're literally trying to reestablish a canon.
>>
>>9479154

Actually I'm apolitical, but keep throwing out unfounded assertions
>>
>>9479239

From the Frankfurt school? I think I'd rather get a lobotomy
>>
>>9476661
>Library of World Literature

i have a few of their hardcovers and they are fine. not the best paper quality but good binding and dignified spines.
>>
>>9476611
fuck off, /pol/tard
>>
>>9479244
how can you be sure about something you haven't read?
>>
>>9479243
>Actually I'm apolitical

kek
>>
>>9479243
Inactivity = tacit approval = conservative
>>
>>9477342
Said by someone who has probably never read any of it.
>>
>>9479351
>>9479351

"Tacit approval" is projection.

I genuinely don't give a shit one way or the other. If you can change or overthrow the status quo, more power to you.
>>
File: c4jt321.png (310KB, 580x282px) Image search: [Google]
c4jt321.png
310KB, 580x282px
>>9479370
you are either an edgy teenager, or an adult in denial about the world around you.
>>
>>9479243
> Trump isn't what you want
> Le Pen loses

GUYS, ACTUALLY IM APOLITICAL OK.
>>
>>9476953
Stirner's in it.
>>
damn. on the bookshelf where they'd be I have quite a few, all of which i've actually read- sartre's war diaries, bobbio's liberalism and domocracy, eagleton's function of criticism (a very useful marxist, say what you will), baudrillard's perfect crime, transparency of evil, system of objects, virilio's open sky, information bomb (have yet to read war and cinema), debord's panegyric 1&2, moretti's signs taken for wonders, althusser's for marx, etc.
some take-aways- 1. University of Minnesota press should in all honesty have been your target. 2. The University of Michigan's Poets in Prose series is fucking awesome. 3. I have quite a few Schocken Books as well as many Semiotexts (MIT) too.
Conclusion- Verso's a solid niche house.
>>
>>9477018

I know, right? I also missed it somehow. Rectifying that ASAP!

As to the OP - Castalia House is worse. Garbage publishing house.
>>
>>9476611
I like any publisher that makes books that wouldn't generally be available to a non-English audience. Only Verso I have tho is Zizek and Stirner. I might have one more knocking around somewhere. Their sales are great and they do them often so if you want any of their books just wait and keep tabs on the site. Plus free digital copies with physical purchase. Honestly, even if you hate their politics there are clearly worse publishers even without checking
>>
File: 25tWr8-G.jpg (32KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
25tWr8-G.jpg
32KB, 768x768px
here is the worst "theory" publisher
garbage that wasn't even good enough for the lowest of academic journals
>>
>>9476732
that book looks great
>>
>>9481844
That's right Anon. You're so damn right here. Good to find I'm not the only one who hates this publisher. They have only a few good books but alongside so much crap. They publish edgy blog-philosophy too.
>>
>>9481844
DELET THIS

t. Angela Nagle
>>
I like some Arktos stuff but my god the graphic design is woeful. Plus they have lost the run of themselves with trump, I think that's why the editor John Morgan silently left, not feverent enough for that idiot Freiburg. Now they are more interested in putting out shit like this than De Benoist s magnum opus
>>
>>9476611
Verso is solidly above average, especially compared to academic publishing
>>
>>9481967
Look at the back cover for this on amazon
>>
>>9482695
Kek
>>
>>9481967
>buying ebola anything
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.