[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you reading Indian literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 255px-Flag_of_India.svg.png (5KB, 255x170px) Image search: [Google]
255px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
5KB, 255x170px
Why aren't you reading Indian literature?
>>
>>9476390
I heard that not even Indians would wipe their ass with it
>>
Fpbp
>>
tried reading some tagore but didn't get into it, the indian government should get behind promoting indian culture more, the way japs spam their shitty cartoons on the world, or the korean force awful k-pop shit with flat assed women onto poor nerds the world over. if you want ppl to read that shit you gotta put some promotional effort behind it, if wipro and infosys can lock up like 90% of the h1b visas to america, they must be able to get barnes and noble to put an indian lit shelf inbetween china and japan at least lol
>>
>Indian intellectuals

PFFTT HAHAHAHAHA.
>>
>>9476479
indian is too third world, every time i read about some poor bastards getting hacked to death with machetes for having an atheist blog i'm like ok that place is never going to catch up to china
>>
I'm actually interested in Indian Philosophy and as far as I can tell it has a rich tradition, but I don't have the time to get into it
>>
File: 1472986927730.jpg (117KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472986927730.jpg
117KB, 640x640px
>>
>>9476390
I'm not reading the Bhagavad-Gita because I'm a sinner and my senses are polluted. I'm eating meat as I'm writing this. But the thing is, I'm not sure I want to stop sinning. I'm afraid to sincerely ask God to show Himself, because of the enormous consequenses it would have.

And I don't read any other Indian /lit/ because it's not readily available to me.
>>
>>9476990
stop believing everything you read, mindslave
>>
File: IMG_8452.jpg (53KB, 297x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8452.jpg
53KB, 297x499px
>>9476390
Gave this a try because it was hyped. it didn't blow me away and I lost my faith in India
>>
>>9476488
Same here. I'll get to it eventually, just not now. Might Commence with the Chinese first.
>>
cause I can poo in loo
>>
>>9476400
>>9476417
>>9476479
>>9476483
>>9476544
>>9477090
Riveting literary discussion
>>
I am.

>>9476433
You should probably read Indian literature in English, because the translations can be very clunky. I picked up Tagore once and found him off-putting, not so with Arundhati Roy, Jhumpa Lahiri, and Jeet Thayil.

Also what >>9476488 said. I think it needs a lot of time to be understood fully. I made a half assed attempt with The Yogavasistha; shouldn't have.
>>
>>
>>9477100
Thanks for the input, you really increased the quality of the thread. Again, thank you for your service.
>>
>>9476390
tell me what to read, going to india soon and want to get down. also are you in india?
>>
POO
>>
>>9476479
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bh%C4%81skara_II
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan
>>
Wtf happened to /lit? People used to put some effort into their posts.
>>
>>9477666
Pffffffffhahahahahaha!
>>
>>9477666
Twitterbros realized reading is for fags and want to make sure we all know that to be the case.
>>
R.K. Narayan is supposedly very good. He's listed on Bloom's Western Canon index if that's of any use. I've got a collection of his stories that I haven't got round to yet but I intend to in the near future.
>>
>>9476990
>reading the Bhagavad Gita on its own
>not reading the entire Mahabharata the way it's meant to be read
>>
>>9478589
>the way it is meant to be read

In Sanskrit by a chanting Brahman?
>>
its shit
>>
>>9476400
Fucking kek
fpbp
>>
>>9476390
I've read Mahabharata and Laws of Manu, absolutely loved them. Mahabharata is possibly one of the best mythological sagas I've read.

However, modern Indian literature is awful with Chetan Bhagat and that Meluha saga or whatever, and creeping radical feminist literature. How the mighty have fallen.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.