[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

“Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that came down to us

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: silmarillion.jpg (67KB, 500x774px) Image search: [Google]
silmarillion.jpg
67KB, 500x774px
“Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that came down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures."

This book is a prosaic masterpiece
>>
It's his best
>>
>>9474837
definitely. I feel like Tolkien was a legitimate literary genius, not just a world-building genius, holding back his power level and forsaking his path to greatness for the sake of bringing joy to millions of people. The man invented entire languages, for christ sakes.
>>
>>9474833
I've never read any Tolkein, because I've always disliked genre fiction, and particularly fantasy. Where should I start with him?
>>
>>9475255
The Silmarillion
>>
>>9475255

The Hobbit is a very easy and enjoyable read, but it's a children's book.

If you want to read that then it is a good starting point, but if not then just start with Lord of the Rings. The Silmarillion is worth delving into if you finish it and want more.
>>
>>9475255
You probably won't like him, in all honesty. He is the peak of fantasy writing.
>>
>>9475424
>He is the peak of fantasy writing.

But that's why I want to give him a chance.
>>
>>9474833
I fucking love Tolkien. I always was ashamed I liked the Lord of the Rings because it's genre fiction ; but after reading the Silmarillion I have nothing but respect for him. It's such a complex masterpiece, it still amazes me.
>>
>>9475263
Hobbit can be a bit of a put off, though. I know plenty of people that almost gave up on him after reading Hobbit, that then completely changed their mind after reading lotr.
>>
>>9475463
This. Do not read the Hobbit as a starter, read it after you begin with LoTR.

The Hobbit is a great book for children, Tolkien even wrote it for his child. But if The Hobbit is your first encounter of Tolkien's work, your perception of Tolkien's work will be distorted.
>>
hobbit > lotr
>>
>>9474833
Can you read The Simarillion before lotr and the hobbit?
>>
>>9475563
its going to be confusing af but yeah, sure
>>
>>9475255
It's fine to start at LOTR.
>>
>>9475565
At what point will the Silmarillion not be confusing?
>>
>>9475583
Once you read lotr you start making a lot of connections while reading the simarillion. Like a "wow, when x thing happened in lotr it was probably y" sort of thing. It's very interesting because it puts a transcendent lens to all the events of the Lord of the Rings while telling its own story.
>>
>>9475463
>>9475475

I made the mistake of reading The Hobbit before LOTR. I didn't like the Hobbit much and now I'm hesitant to read LOTR even though Fellowship is sitting on my shelf.

What do?
>>
>>9475971
Kill yourself, dumb shit smear
>>
>>9476081
I probably will soon, but what does that have to do with Tolkien?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.