[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really enjoy writing and want to go into technical writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Webb, Patrick.jpg (111KB, 681x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Webb, Patrick.jpg
111KB, 681x1000px
I really enjoy writing and want to go into technical writing as a career with a minor in CS.
I don't like to read all that much. I mean I do, but not really.
Should I consider a major in English or Writing studies for what I want to do
>>
>>9474766
>I don't like to read all that much. I mean I do, but not really.

You're sure to go far in technical writing with such lucidity as this.
>>
>>9474775
Or I could just call you a moron for thinking that I would attempt to expose anymore than a fragment on this forum.
>>
>>9474787
If you want to call me a moron nobody is stopping you. I think there are too many qualifications, doubts, and contradictions in your speech. Well, do you like to read or not? We're still not clear on this simple matter. A good writer is also a good reader.
>>
>>9474766
If you don't enjoy reading, and by that you mean fiction, you're going to fucking hate English and do abysmally at it. English and history are probably the two most reading intensive subjects you can study at a university.

Pick a area you're interested in, and then study that. You'll most likely still have to write research papers, and in your final year, if you're university is anything like mine, they might have a couple of units with scholarly editing assignments.

Most technical writers have an area of expertise that they write in. You can choose medicine or anything really. If you want to be a jack-of-all trades technical writer without, then I suppose you could do worse than English. But English is also very much into figurative and not-highly-specific language.

Just choose whatever you want to study and learn the mechanics of writing and editing and grammar etc in your own time. Take a course outside of uni.
>>
>>9474824
ty
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.