[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there essential slam poetry or is mostly just garbage? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Is there essential slam poetry or is mostly just garbage?

I've listened to some Savannah's poems, but wasn't very impressed.
>>
Slam Poetry is not popular on this board. I haven't listened to much, but from what I have listened to it has sounded mostly formulaic, and more about the delivery than the poem itself. Many of them would not stand alone as written word.
>>
>>9474736
This
>>9474708
Anyways, Saul Williams back in the 90's is the only person I've ever seen do anything interesting or compelling with shout-at-you poetry
>>
>>9474708
Danez Smith is pretty good.

Steve Roggenbuck is technically slam tho he's p hilarious.
>>
>>9474708
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNgqpkZMjiw
>>
>>9474780
>I open by addressing a group of people I chose from a list
>My options are narrow: white, straight, or cis
>My voice trembles a little, making me sound emotional
>But then I get louder, my verses commotional, and the rhyme scheme stops
>And I look off into the distance as I build a crescendo of forced and fake passion and yell a cliche condemnation
>FUCK PHOTOSHOPPED FASHION!
>You see, it's not really for me when the audience cheers because I've only told the audience what they expected to hear
>Because you see, slam poetry is no longer personal, mate
>Because the person you hear is who you impersonate
>And that's what happens when you recite your art from the list of beliefs that an ideologically, uniform environment allows you to think
>See, I act like I'm deep, but I'm a pretender.
>The only topics I speak on are race, sex, and gender
>So think about it when I share my opinions with you
>That they all can be reduced to a hashtag or two
>Slam Poetry Sucks

>My voice trembles a little, making me sound emotional
>But then I get louder, my verses commotional, and the rhyme scheme stops
Delicious!
>>
>>9474708
saul williams
>>
>>9474708
Slam poetry is pretty much by definition garbage.
The minute it becomes good is when it drops all the defining features and cliches that seperate it from plain spoken word poetry
>>
>>9475584
Saul I Wrote MY FANS Poems On My Walls Williams is a pretentious rich kid.

I was in a classroom with him for an hour once. It was a bad hour.
>>
>>9475628
>I Wrote MY FANS Poems On My Walls

What a fucking narcissist, bet he tells himself its a favour to them
>>
I think it is the very format of slam poetry that makes it bad.
You simply can't expect something else than shallow platitudes from a text that is meant to gain as much of the crowds sympathy in a couple of minutes as possible. Additionally, it's mostly controlled by the leftist student demographic, at least where i live.
It's pretty much the same as with political music. It's polemic by nature, and not a good place to look for deep insights.
>>
>>9474708
"In One Hundred Acre Wood
Our friends are not in the mood.
Swept under the carpet of Winter is our hope
The moral and food ratio went down the slope.
Frozen tears hit the glass
They bring starvation en masse.
Assimilation is scrapped from their mind
Annihilated will be their kind
Black hour hits the timeline
Mother will be put to the trial
To preserve the blood for the next generation
One must survive to reach preservation
The weakest has been chosen
The dominant must be proven
Barbarian instinct hits her organism
Wild temper breaks stoicism
She can't be stopped; not with remorse
Hounds fulfilled with tears and brute force
Humanity is gored and raped
Cannibalism is her only escape
Know your race Know your place."
- Kanga's Hunger by Cyber 8.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.