[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Habermas - Theory of Communicative Action

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1494021575559.png (2MB, 1391x737px) Image search: [Google]
1494021575559.png
2MB, 1391x737px
This thread is a feeler to see if anyone has interest in participating in a /lit/ based reading group for a long text by the German philosopher, Jurgen Habermas, which is called "The Theory of Communicative Action". It is a two-volume work which blends philosophy and sociology, and advances a particular picture of human life which is contrasted with earlier thinkers like Karl Marx and Max Weber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCrgen_Habermas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Theory_of_Communicative_Action

Volume 1 of the text is reproduced below. Although clumsy in spots, the pdf is nethertheless an extremely faithful reproduction of Volume 1, even preserving pagination, which would be useful to the above.

http://www.dphu.org/uploads/attachements/books/books_2795_0.pdf

Volume 2 is reproduced more literally here:

http://bibotu.com/books/Philosophy/Habermas,%20Jurgen%20-%20The%20theory%20of%20communicative%20action%20-%20Vol.2.pdf

I have a personal concept for an approach to the text. The first bit is to digest a good 4-5 texts, or selections thereof, to get up to speed (readings from Weber and Marx say, and for myself, another book by Habermas and reviewing Austin's How To Do Things With Words). One thing which is very clear on skimming TCA itself is that Habermas is extremely thorough about citation and context, so that reading him cold isn't such a chore of-itself.

This won't be the last time I float this idea, but I'm slowly getting more serious about it.
>>
is he as much of a pessimistic twat like Marcuse or Adorno?
>>
File: postmodernism.jpg (303KB, 1296x968px) Image search: [Google]
postmodernism.jpg
303KB, 1296x968px
>>9474302
habermass, (from the Middle High German halber Marx; cf. ganzer Marx) n. A religious ceremony designed to engender an illusion of understanding through chants describing socio-economic conditions. Hence also, habermass, v. "He habermassed Einstein; he attempted to deduce the special theory of relativity from the social structure of the Bern patent office." "Nothing but a gadam habermass" - H. S. Truman.

Also, you're an idiot
>>
I see Habermas mentioned in passing by French philosophers sometimes, but I don't think I've ever seen a post here dive into his theories.

What would you say to make people interested in his work? What are his most compelling ideas and viewpoints?
>>
File: OlMushMouth.jpg (69KB, 860x549px) Image search: [Google]
OlMushMouth.jpg
69KB, 860x549px
>>9474324
Just a name to drop.

Or

Djruspt uh nm t'drmp.

But in all seriousness, there's nothing. The public sphere oooooh ahhhh communication oooh wow if only there was cybernetics or something that covered it w/o all the bullshit.

Really makes you think.
>>
>>9474308

No, I don't think so. His project seems by-definition to be more optimistic.

>>9474324

Over-simplifying on purpose, Habermas had exchanges with Derrida and Foucault where the latter each(?) said something like "u can't know nuffin" and then Habermas said something more like "yuh huh you can too know sumfin". Or maybe that's what the second-hand accounts amounted to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCrgen_Habermas#Habermas_and_Derrida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault%E2%80%93Habermas_debate

These exchanges seem to be how people who know the other two memes become aware of this third meme.

The only Habermas I've read is the first few pages of Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere, which I want to read before TCA, among other things. Basically within a few pages and skimming the rest, it's already clear that Habermas likes to spend

I don't know every last detail of what's in TCA, but it's something I've been aware of for years and now I'm gearing up to reading it. It would be nice to have company, which is my main conceit.

Habermas does base his stuff in a specific reason, cites things very thorougly, and is really quite /lit/. And you get name-droppings from continentals and Europeans like Marx, the rest of the Frankfurt school, and so on, and you also get to upset /pol/ interlopers and pseuds by actually engaging with a text and using /lit/ for what it was intended for.

If Hegel is the final boss, than Habermas is some optional weird super-final boss which isn't necessary to beat the game but still fun to figure out. Or so I'd hope.
>>
>>9474302

I saw this book in the lost and found of my cafeteria. Maybe I'll steal it.
>>
>>9474409

*likes to spend time on the european tradition. Like Marx, Habermas spends time referring to the feudal-early modern period by way of explaining how and why things are the way they are "today" (fifty years ago).
>>
>>9474409
>quite /lit/
Can you prove this?

>than
wew

>final boss
Because he's a poor communicator of non-ideas?
>>
>>9474302
Habermas is basically a marxist larping as pragmatist centrist intellectual. He uses mainly the Saul Alinsky tactic of making the enemy living up to his and many other standards, while only partly living up to those standards himself, because his standards are included in the premises, which can't be talked about. He accuses "other" right leaning centrists and slightly right leaning conservatives of far right ideas and by this shifting the public further to the left. Basically his ideas are rational, the idas of opponents aren't, people who believe the same are responsible, people who believe something else aren't and be greatful within this premises we can have an non-hierarchical discurse (herrschaftsfreien Diskurs).
>>
>>9475288
Pretty much this.

Out of all the great German philosophers, you're choosing the one with the least to say.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.