[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else think this was complete and utter shit? Just read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: index.jpg (13KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13KB, 183x275px
Anyone else think this was complete and utter shit? Just read like a 16 year old trying to write the edgiest things he could come up with, I'm convinced that it has no literary value whatsoever and only pseuds enjoy it.
>>
you are probably unironically not a good enough reader
>>
if you got mad reading it you proved his point on the morality of ideology
>>
>>9472835
this cover always reminds me of spongebob.

And no, it's a great book. It's like cave painting, the first of it's kind. The only predecessors it really has are Gargantua and Pantagruel, maybe Candide.

Centuries from now, people will look at this book to help them understand the depravity of the 20th century.
>>
>>9472835
Is Burroughs similar to Bukowski? I read Bukowski's Post Office and I get that he really liked getting drunk and above all else, regardless of whether or not it it made sense, he would rather get drunk. And fuck something as well.

Naked Lunch, the movie, I thought was fucking fantastic. The idea of the bugs are drugs and the drugs are bugs and their interchange was excellent. So, how does the book compare?
>>
>>9472908
>Is Burroughs similar to Bukowski?
not particularly.>>9472908
>the idea of the bugs are drugs and the drugs are bugs and their interchange was excellent. So, how does the book compare?

The movie actually takes from a number of different Burroughs novels, and it has a much more concise narative than Naked Lunch. Naked Lunch is a series of scenes with no plot movement between them, just occasional recurring characters.

The film is pretty good for what it is, but it's a lot easier to digest than the book. The novel is pretty amazing, but also pretty disgusting and revolting at times. One aspect that is left out of the movie is the frequent executions and ritual murder that happens in the novel, along with graphic descriptions of gay male sex.
>>
>>9472835
It's degenerate. Faggots like Burroughs and Ginsberg should have been executed before they poisoned American culture.
>>
>>9472835
Maybe you need to read it in a sarcastic way
>>
>>9472908
Bukowski is different than Burroughs in how he lived and wanted to live. Bukowski lived to drink, and would later use his lifestyle as an attractant for hedonistic purposes. He was devoured by a sense of lost time in his youth, and tried his best to make up for it by drinking, writing and fucking as many slags as possible, where as Burroughs was seeking answers and questions to a life that was consumed by the pain of loss and substance abuse.

I thought Naked Lunch is good, but you have to look past the fluff and avoid nitpicking certain details. The novel can be confusing at times, but its definitely worth a read about how Burroughs perceived his work and used the newspaper cutting program to build his ideas.
>>
>>9473326
Yeah, the movie is nasty and I expected the novel to be so too.
>>9473634
Burroughs' past is so fucked mate. And the way his gf's murder was incorporated in the movie was so raw and obvious, without the orthodox obfuscation writers use.

Gonna go read it now.
>>
>>9472835
I somehow can't get through the first chapter of it. It got to my pile after I read On the Road, and one of the Neil Cassady biographies, but I can't imagine going through it. Something is missing.
>>
>>9472835
Its a hacky fucking mess.
>>
>>9472835
He's the best of the beats as far as prose goes imo, though I don't disagree its an edge fest.

I found it fun tho.
>>
>>9475482
It's the complete opposite for me, I can't force myself to read On The Road
>>
File: Infinite_jest_cover.jpg (28KB, 300x464px) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_jest_cover.jpg
28KB, 300x464px
>you didn't just describe this
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.