[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you say his name, I've heard everyone saying 'Key-hotee'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Don_Quijote_and_Sancho_Panza.jpg (27KB, 250x346px) Image search: [Google]
Don_Quijote_and_Sancho_Panza.jpg
27KB, 250x346px
How do you say his name, I've heard everyone saying 'Key-hotee' but in the book it says his name rhymes with biscuit, so it whould be 'Quicks-oat'

Help me /lit/
>>
>>9472157
The Spanish pronunciation is Key-Otee, and the traditional English pronunciation was Quick-soat, though these days most English speakers use the Spanish pronunciation and quick-soat is rather old-fashioned
>>
https://translate.google.com/#en/es/quijote
>>
>>9472178
What about the traditional Spanish pronunciation? Didn't that used to include the "h" sound?
>>
>>9472157
I've always said "Key-ho-tay" but I also read it in Spanish.
>>
>>9472205
Yeah sorry, should have included the h.
>>
>>9472225
Should also say the Spanish j is a slightly more guttural sound than an English h, they're not identical
>>
>>9472157
Don Quixote was written in a mix of old Castilian and what was then modern Spanish. Similar to how aristocrats in Shakespeare spoke in verse, Quixote speaks in old Castilian while everyone else uses what was then modern Spanish. In old Castilian the x is pronounced with an sh sound. So you should read it as Don KEY-SHOT, as that is how Don Quixote would've said it, as he spoke in old Castilian.
>>
Don Qui - as in Key, jo or xo - as in HObbes, te as in TEtra.
>>
>>9472157
In modern Spanish it's kee- kho-tay, where the x is similar to, for example, a ch like in Hebrew.
>>
>>9472393
That's really nitpicking and may be true but has no relevance to how people speak it, it just sounds ridiculous and people would laugh at you. Then you would explain why you're actually right, and they would appear to be impressed but secretly hate you and think you to be pretentious. You will die alone and without friends if you do this and similar things like it, please stop.
>>
>>9472595
You can pronounce it any of the three ways described in this thread. But when Cervantes wrote it and his contemporaries read it, that's how they pronounced it.
>>
>>9472157
There's no English phoneme for the Spanish J, much like the RR. In fact, many anglophones who have spent years learning our language are still not capable of pronouncing either sound.
KI- as in "KId"
JO- no equivalent, closest would be as in "HOt"
TE- as in "TEst"
>>
>>9472178
This. Anglification of Spanish was the norm up until very recently, Don Juan by Byron was pronounced Jyou-ahn in the same way as Quixote was pronounced Quicks-oat
>>
>>9472614
Hardly a fitting analogy since Don Quixote was written by a Spaniard while Don Juan was written by an Englishmen.
>>
>>9472648
Juan is still a Spanish name.
If I wrote your name "Nigel", would people have to pronounce it "neejel" because I am Spanish?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.