[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you prefer reading literature in its original language, or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1493749666376.jpg (36KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1493749666376.jpg
36KB, 655x527px
Do you prefer reading literature in its original language, or in your native language?
To go one step further, did you learn a language specifically for that language's literature? For example, learning Russian if you're interested in Russian literature.
>>
The books written in my native language are mostly fucking trash, i also generally read foreign books in english since the translations are often better than in my native language
>>
>>9470934
I prefer to read books in their original language. If I don't speak the language, I'll choose the English edition over my native language.
>>
>>9470934
If I can understand the original language, I read in the original language.
If I can't, I try to avoid English translations because the simplicity of the language often ruins most translations. I would consider Spanish or French.
No, I wouldn't learn a language solely to read literature. I would if I were a scholar working on russian literature, but I'm not. I study philosophy and I'm focusing on Kant philosophy of science, it has been my main reason to attempt to learn german since most journal that publish research on kant are either in german or expect the author has read the works in german.
>>
>>9472706
This, unless my language is more related to the original. I am a Slav, so I won't read Russians for example in English, but my native language instead.
>>
>>9470934
Original when I can, if not, I'll choose depending on the content of the book. Dostoyevsky is more fitting in German, Tolkien sounds retarded in Spanish, Spanish surrealists sound retarded in English and German, and so on.
In my experience, the more realistic and serious something is, the better it's in your native language; but if I read e.g. fantasy in my native language I'd just cringe for days. Not sure what that is.
>>
>>9472738
I can't imagine reading German philosophy in English.. the words are so different and peculiar, it's impossible to translate without losing some meaning. Especially the ones so verschwurbelt as Kant.
>>
I used to read translated (to spanish) though i can read english since i was ten. I just didn't find books on english. Though after enyoing some good prose on spanish, i decided to look for books that lose on translation.

It's an amazing feel, to read both Don Quijote and The Hobbit in vernacular.
>>
You only need German, Russian, English and Latin. In that order.
>>
>>9472767
Not the guy you're repltying to, but aside from english I know spanish and french, would they be a better choice than english for german philosophy?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.