[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start with Confucius in English??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: confucius.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
confucius.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
Best translations? I prefer academic translations/editions, the more footnotes and paratext the better.

I'd also really love to hear about how I should simply learn ancient chinese because translations are impossible
>>
>>9469604
I think he only wrote the Analects so start with that.
>>
File: 1066580995.jpg (103KB, 648x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1066580995.jpg
103KB, 648x1024px
>>9469604
Unless you really like ancient Chinese literature and want to be an academic scholar of that subject there's no point in learning any variety of it. This is true of every ancient language desu and the >translations meme is in fact just a meme, but I digress. That said I'd like an answer to your question too. I have this James Legge version but it's an older translation and, iirc, not the best. Has lots of footnotes, though.
>>
>>9469604
James Legge, download the dual language editions. That'll give you an idea of what you're up against.

Interested in classical Chinese? Get Rouzer or Fuller, plus Pulleyblank, the Pleco App with Kroll installed.
>>
>>9469604
You are a sheep following the trend of stupid eastern philosophy. Just read the Greeks and learn ancient Greek its better than learning Chinese baby drawings.
>>
>>9470411
Sorry I feel bitter today. I don't mean it. Chinese are cool.
>>
>>9470411
>Chinese baby drawings.

did any of u dudes see this preposterous theory made by some chinese historian recently that the first chinese dynasty was founded by a group that was driven out of egypt, i was like this has too be conspiracy fag shit, but he was from a legit uni, wish i could remember a link to it
>>
>>9470419
hmm, in an ironic twist his theory that the chinese civilization was just a knock of ancient egypt is actually a knock of a theory by a french historian, well shit.

https://archive.org/details/westernoriginofe00terrrich
>>
>>9470426
Was just about to say Terrien de La Couperie.
>>
File: 71lJP8pFv3L._SL1500_.jpg (169KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
71lJP8pFv3L._SL1500_.jpg
169KB, 900x1350px
>recommending Legge
You guys are clueless. That's literally 100 years out of date.

OP, get the Slingerland translation. The translator is a professor of Chinese religion, and the book includes introductory material, notes, and commentaries from later confucians. It's exactly what you're looking for.

Also don't listen to the idiots telling you to learn classical Chinese, that would take you literally a lifetime of study.
>>
Intro to Confucianism, philosophical Daoism, Chinese Buddhism:
An Introduction to Chinese Philosophy by JeeLoo Liu

Yìjīng:
The Complete I Ching by Alfred Huang

Xiàojīng:
The Chinese Classic of Family Reverence: A Philosophical Translation of the Xiaojing by Henry Rosemont Jr., Roger T. Ames

Dàxué
http://www.acmuller.net/con-dao/greatlearning.html

Zhōngyōng
http://www.acmuller.net/con-dao/docofmean.html

Lúnyǔ
The Analects of Confucius by Burton Watson

Mèngzǐ
Mencius by Philip J Ivanhoe

Dao Companion to the Analects
Dao Companion to the classical Confucian philosophy
>>
>>9470585
yeah, OP. don't listen to Confuciusm he's only 2,000 years out of date.
obviously check different versions.

as for learning classical Chinese: a pleasure unknown to the pleb.
>>
>>9470585
>>9470600

thanks, you yellow and moderate men
>>
>>9471815
don't be plebeian:
http://faculty.vassar.edu/brvannor/ClassicalChineseEveryone.pdf
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.