[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 220px-UnderTheVolcano.jpg (25KB, 220x313px) Image search: [Google]
220px-UnderTheVolcano.jpg
25KB, 220x313px
thoughts?
>>
>>9468405
overrated
>>
>>9468427
Do you have any of your own opinions?
>>
>>9468405
stunning. I cant believe it isnt named a masterpiece more often. I wish he could have finished the trilogy. Anyone read his other work?
>>
>>9468431
yeah, are you saying my opinion is widely held and so not my own?
>>
significantly underrated.
>>
>>9468437
I've read the forest path to the spring, in the collection Hear Us O Lord From Heaven Thy Dwelling Place. The prose is great but it isn't that good as a whole. It was, I believe, an exercise for his writing of the Purgatorio part of his unfinished trilogy.

Under the Volcano is an amazing book.
>>
File: IMG_7835.jpg (23KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7835.jpg
23KB, 259x194px
I'll order it, but I better not get memed.
>>
>>9468437
>>9468507
Please elaborate.
>>
>>9468686
It's a masterful book. Lowry has complete control of your attention, even when the narrative changes time and character. Each divergence, memory, flashbak, is done ex-fucking-quisitely. He wanted to write two more and make them a trilogy based on the Divine Comedy.
>>
>>9468431
no, I have not read it and am inquiring with a community of my peers whether or not I should read it.
>>
>>9468405
Loved it. Cried a bit at the end. Will order it soon so I have my own physical copy.
>>
>>9468437
I've struggled to find anything else by him. (I think Ultramarine is out of print?).

For under the volcano I was simultaneously bothered by how unrealistic alcoholism was portrayed (given that it was written by an alcoholic) but the prose as influenced by POV was lovely, as was ye olde mexico
>>
>>9470010
Portrayed unrealistically?
>>
>>9470034
Yeah, speaking as one, you don't DT once an hour on the hour, and if you did you'd be dead in a week because of kindling.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.