[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Film is the future of narrative"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Marquez.jpg (12KB, 400x288px) Image search: [Google]
Marquez.jpg
12KB, 400x288px
"Film is the future of narrative"
>>
>>9466746
No its Video Games
>>
i actually agree but if you think writing isn't a part of film youre a dummy. good modern writing is thinking like a film-goer, or in our times a web-browser. Prose-obsessed poet types are doomed and don't even know it, or more often in denial.
>>
>>9466747
nah video games aren't really as proficient for narrative. Unique experiences, sure, but going to/designing a carnival isn't quite the same as it is to read/write a book. linear progression is kind of important.

that doesn't mean they're not art but oyu gotta use your head here.
>>
Narrative is the future of your face
>>
>>9466751
Clearly you haven't played Mass Effect Andromeda
>>
>>9466764
i hope youre being sarcastic.
>>
>>9466746
Did you make this thread because Marquez wrote screenplays before cien aƱos put him on the radar
>>
you couldve said that in the 70s. but movies are such garbage now it's not realistic
>>
>>9466825
Nah, I made it because when I read that I thought about my relationship with audiovisual in general and literature and they are different. I mean, when I'm watching a film it's purely for fun, and if I don't feel like watching a movie/serie I don't do it, but with literature I have a commitment and a responsability, I read wether I want it or not, wether I like the book or not (if is in the canon ofc). And I wondered, why don't I have the same commintment with "the canon of movies? "That's because you want to become a writer" Yes, okay, but nontheless I'm missing a huge field of quality narrative, so I should have the same commitment to. And I just wanted to know lit's opinion on the topic.
t. Native speaker
>>
Not really no. They're both different media and have their limitations. I'd say they're complementary.
For instance, take a book like "No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai: how could you film something decent from it? It's so introspective and so based on how things are said that it wouldn't make a lot of sense to see it in a film.
On the other side of the spectrum, take a film like "Mother and Son" by Sokurov. The narrative is hugely dependent on images and visual textures. I could try to describe what's on the screen but it'll probably end up sounding contrived and it wouldn't do any justice to the film.
>>
Television has overtaken film.
>>
The "Gutenberg mind" has been destroyed by the internet.
The codex will die in your lifetime.
The image has and will take primacy over the text.

Serious literature is already dead. academic literature departments are nothing but retirement homes for a dying cultural endeavour
>>
>>9467399
>Serious literature is already dead
Then bring it back. It's not like architecture where you need to change the whole landscape to fix the errors. You need to write one good book. Its existence being enough; the audience size is irrelevant.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.