[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just finished Invisible Cities. First Calvino I have read, one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: InvisibleCities.jpg (17KB, 255x354px) Image search: [Google]
InvisibleCities.jpg
17KB, 255x354px
just finished Invisible Cities. First Calvino I have read, one of the prettiest books I've read. It's hard for me to describe what I learned from it beyond how pretty it is, but I just keep thinking about it. What did you think of it? What other books are like it?
>>
>>9465252
Start thinking about it instead of making retarded threads. Or share your thoughts beyond 'it's pretty'. Do you need us to tell you what to think?
>>
>>9465252

More or less the same impression than you had! I would suggest you also read the trilogy I Nostri Antenati (Il Barone Rampante, il Visconte Dimezzato, Il Cavaliere Inesistente) - those are also very nice. If you liked the imagery, these are possibly less 'meta' than some of his other books.

If you are interestend in Calvino 'meta-literary' stuff, go for Il Castello dei Destini Incrociati or Se una Notte d'Inverno un Viaggiatore.

Also, le Cosmicomiche if you are interested in his short stories!
>>
>>9465262

He asked what other people think about it and asked for suggestions. Why would the point of the thread be his own opinion? This is /lit/ and you can't read three lines of 'retarted' threads without misinterpreting you inbred mongoloid
>>
>>9465288
Don't you ever fucking talk to me like that again, you hear? If you knew anything about me you'd know not to take that tone of voice with me.
You're on a literature board, you shouldn't get triggered about people encouraging the discussion of books.
And I swear, if you disrespect me again, I will not go lightly on you.
>>
>>9465288
Because he offers nothing. He just read the damn thing. He needs to learn to articulate his thoughts without the catalyst of someone else's postulation.
He is unironically making a "just finished this. What did I think about it" thread.
>>
>>9465303
fuck off man. it's not like this board is overflowing with discussion about specific books, if i want to make a thread starting a discussion on it, don't tell me not to because it's really vague.

it's kind of hard to capture this book in a quick "these are my thoughts" because each segment is kind of a self-contained idea that builds on the larger themes of the cities with the same chapter titles, which build on the themes of the book as a whole. it's not the kind of book where you can summarize it or even your thoughts on it in a single sentence. all i was trying to do was start a discussion, not express my opinions on the text
>>
>>9465288
>>>/wsr/
>>
>>9465437
At least you're consistent.
>>
Hint: they're all the same city
>>
>>9465459
I like that reading but I don't think Invisible Cities is like a puzzle book where you are supposed to realize it's Venice and then you're done. I think it says something universal in each of its chapters
>>
>>9465459
wikipedia says that but i don't see any reason why that's true, wikipedia is edited by pseuds from reddit
>>
>>9465929
>>9465459
The fuck do you mean "hint" you silly boogers, he literally says it
>>
>>9465252
It was like reading a book by a guy who had to come up with a new city each day for his book. woah so meta, eh? Except that happens in the first chapter and then you are reading basically improv and padding for the rest of it.
>>
>>9465948
dude, what he was talking about is that when you describe something you are describing based on what you are used to, if your an american describing an america city you don't have to say "the roads are paved" because that is what you are used to, so if someone is telling you a tale of a city and they say "it has paved roads" suddenly you know this dudes home city has dirt roads, have this dude describe enough cities and you can figure out what his home city is, because all the cities he describe give you a description of his own city by the things he chooses to tell you about...which is i guess sort of what structural linguistics is about ... it didn't mean he was LITERALLY describing the same city over and over

invisible cities is short and easy to read but pseuds really have a hard time getting their heads around it, every time there is a thread on it, it's filled with idiotic shit
>>
>>9465270
>not writing the titles in the language in which you are writing
>>
>>9465961
Lol Calvino is so shit
>>
>>9465297
HAHAHHAHAHAH we got a badass over here. Watch out.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.