[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thomas Mann

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1492492739856.png (234KB, 545x530px) Image search: [Google]
1492492739856.png
234KB, 545x530px
Which of his books should I read and what are your personal thoughts on these (if you have read them):

>Buddenbrooks
>The Magic Mountain
>Doctor Faustus
>>
>>9459612
the one where he wrote it because he wanted to fuck his own adolescent son
>>
File: 1489567531903.jpg (25KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1489567531903.jpg
25KB, 641x530px
>>9459618
No way. Really?
>>
I've heard high praise for Joseph and his Brothers.
>>
Read Death in Venice and some of his other short stories to see if you like his style before committing to one of his long novels.
I love his writing, but no one I've recommend him to liked him.
The magic mountain would be the first novel I recommend. Buddenbrooks is another decent first choice though.
>>
>>9459627
Mann considered it to be his magnum opus (not that he gets a say in the matter -- it's the magic mountain).
>>
>>9459623
In his diaries Thomas Mann made clear his own sexual interest in Klaus: ‘Am enraptured with Eissi,’ he wrote in 1920, when Klaus was 14 (Eissi was his nickname), ‘terribly handsome in his swimming trunks. Find it quite natural that I should fall in love with my son . . . It seems I am once and for all done with women? . . . Eissi was lying tanned and shirtless on his bed, reading; I was disconcerted.’ Later that year he ‘came upon Eissi totally nude and up to some nonsense by Golo’s bed’ and was ‘deeply struck by his radiant adolescent body; overwhelming’.
>>
>>9459618

Death in Venice?
>>
>>9459612
I've read Tristan by him and it made me reassess my whole life - neither the plot nor the prose is good but it is a great provocation against Apollonian aesthetics. It also helped my understanding of Nietzsche.

3/10, made me a better person.
>>
Death in Venice is mad. Couldn't put it down.

Mario und der Zauberer is also very good. Probably not very popular here though.
>>
A man and his dog (aka Bashan and I) is supremely comfy.
The blood of the walsungs was my favorite story besides DiV.
>>
Anyone here read, Lotte in Weimar?
Considering picking it up.
>>
>>9459612
what the other anons in this thread said, also: don't read dr. faustus if you have no knowledge of music theory.
>>
>>9460974
How far down the rabbit hole would you have to go to get a good amount of the stuff?
>>
>>9459637
It's really good.
>>
>>9459612

Currently reading Buddenbrooks. Of thoughts, there are none, of feeling i have but one, but that feeling is of both looking through a clear window and of the wonder if the frame is some funny old thing, like you needed to be then to get it, and all the get-it is the only to be gotten. Very much the-golden-age-of-television real, and I gets real bored and really into it, back and forth, "should I read this; is it actually going to be this boring" and "wow, it's so interesting how he's able to capture all these people and seem so detached." I read his short stories ten years ago and remembered enjoying the way he writes more than the subject matter. Was hoping to understand his approach from this novel, and so far I'm getting that sense that his musicality, his voice for dialog and whatever richness was in the German language edition is lost in the English translation. Which means I might be missing out on the only bit of fun this fucking piece of trash has to offer. But on wards....
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.