[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it really all an analogy of the Soul?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: plato-the-republic.jpg (796KB, 874x1416px) Image search: [Google]
plato-the-republic.jpg
796KB, 874x1416px
Was it really all an analogy of the Soul?
>>
As Socrates explicitly remarks on Book III of The Republic, the tripartite theory of the soul can be understood by looking at the big picture first (understanding the kallipolis makes it easier to understand the soul). The book clearly contains an analogy, but it would be mistaken to think that this is everything.
>>
>>9459525

WHAT IF THE WORLD IS?

PLATO
THE REPUBLIC II
TIMAEUS VERISIMILE TALE

A COSMOGONIC EXPERIENCE

SOON IN (greek) THEATHERS
>>
>>9461265
Obviously Plato's analogy reflects elements of the real thing he's drawing an analogy to and his experience and bias therein. But it's still important to remember that is an analogy for the soul above all else and is not an endorsement of any political ideal.
>>
>>9461412
Absolute meme among academics to purge him of anything that isn't politically expedient
>>
Plato was really good at stitching together different segments of philosophy. His epistemology, ethics, politics, and metaphysics are all connected at a certain level.
>>
>>9459525
>analogy of the Soul
yes

>all an analogy of the Soul
no

it's applicable to the individual and the collective
>>
>>9461476
really fucking sick and tired of this meme, will get very angry next time I hear someone dismiss the whole book as "analogy to the soul".

There is this whole fucking weird culture particularly around plato because of the dialogue of dismissal (dismiss the interlocutor, dismiss all political ideas in republic, dismiss the ending allegories etc. etc. etc.) that I can't fucking stand.

It is astounding how easy it is for people to do this, simply because they know that the text isn't doctrinaire. But every single idea in the dialogue is meant to be taken very seriously, and thought about with respect, not arrogance and pompous reduction. And of course when it's convenient, socrates is the doctrinaire, and the interlocutor is a moron, ooh haha, meno big stupid head, he give bad answer ooga booga simple minded when every single interlocutor (even Ion) is doing subtle and very important work in every single dialogue, not work that gets socrates to his end goal, but work that can be taken on it's own and considered as bringing to light serious tensions in many important questions.
>>
>>9462565
*around plato, because his work is in dialogue, of dismissal
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.