[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What're some books that'll help me with my writing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1888.jpg (79KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1888.jpg
79KB, 500x501px
What're some books that'll help me with my writing?
>>
All of them.
>>
>>9458194
>truth
/thread
>>
>>9458194
I meant more books that are about the topic of writing but this is definitely The Truth
>>
On Writing, Strunk & White
>>
>>9458194
Correct answer. The more you read, the more your vocabulary grows, and the better you understand sentence structure and how to weave a story. Even Harry fucking Potter, to an extent, depending on how little you've read thus far, can help your writing. So if you think your writing needs improvement, first read books, a goodly amount of them. Then when you're ready to write your first book with your big idea, don't. Write something else first. That's what is generally advised unless you've got LOTS of hobby writing behind you as experience. My first book turned out not bad, but that's thanks to over a decade of writing just for fun. If you haven't written anything beyond Youtube comments, posts on forums/threads, or maybe the occasional essay in school, then your first book should be something you're not overly passionate about.

Write it, edit it, get it critiqued if you can, and then after you've learned from all this you can put it away and start writing your main idea. Once finished your first draft, dust off that first book and read it. See what you think of it, you might spot some things you don't much like, and then read the first draft of your main second book. By this point, you should be all set to edit up that beautiful dingleberry second book, get it critiqued, and then you can either get rejected with traditional publishing or make probably very little money via self-publishing, or try to accomplish both. It's quite easy.

Write because you love to write. If you write for money, chances are you won't strike gold with your first book like J K Rowling did or that woman with 50 Shades of Smut. You'll get rejected, you'll make little if any money, get bored, lose motivation, and stop. If you love to write though, then you'll keep writing even while making absolutely nothing, you'll improve in your writing over time, you'll amass more and more books, and in time, even with self-publishing, likely start making a bit of coin.

I think that's /thread
>>
>>9458179

None.Writing helps you with your writing.
Reading books it's like watching someone riding a bike to learn how to use it. It may give you some insight on how to do it better, but you will get good at something if you practice it with discipline.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.