[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I expect of this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1479936193420.jpg (38KB, 331x499px) Image search: [Google]
1479936193420.jpg
38KB, 331x499px
What should I expect of this?
>>
>>9457977
shit smeared on pages after pages
>>
Waifus
>>
>>9457983
Maria <3
>>
>>9457977
A soap opera.
>>
Russian snobbery and bullying of Germans
>>
The greatest novel ever written.
>>
>>9457977
shitty translation
>>
>>9458055
I just picked up Notes and they are the translators for that as well. I was told they were good, do you recommend other translators?
>>
>>9458087
they are the best, ignore the obvious trolling.
>>
>>9457977
Long, but well paced and epic in the truest sense. Also I want to get plastered with a bear.
>>
File: C8wmdnhW0AAPWad.jpg (69KB, 629x1024px) Image search: [Google]
C8wmdnhW0AAPWad.jpg
69KB, 629x1024px
There's a controversial point where Tolstoy fucks his shit up senpai. You'll know it when you see it. Anna Karenin pisses all over it.
>>
File: what a shame.jpg (54KB, 603x393px) Image search: [Google]
what a shame.jpg
54KB, 603x393px
>>9458004
Sums Russian literature up pretty accurate.
>>
>>9458087
Revised Maude by Oxford is a lot better.

P&V's style is a little 'clunky'.

I have two copies of War and Peace - pic related and Maude, and Maude is a lot better.
>>
>>9457977
Reams and reams of shitty little "characters" with their funny little quirks that make you go "I do that! Oh my gosh I do that too! He gets us, he really gets humanity" and then maybe three actually well-written characters.
>>
>>9457977

1700 pages and no tits.
>>
>>9458514
There are so many waifus what are you on about
>>
Something 10x as long but 1/5 as good as Hadji Murat.
>>
Nothing, my dude. Just dive in and enjoy it.

The first hundred pages or so might feel like a push if you're unfamiliar with Tolstoy but after that it becomes really enjoyable. You'll grow to understand and love all the characters like close friends.
>>
Which translation should I cop

Cannot have a shitty cover (das right woodsworth I'm looking at you)
>>
>>9458087
They are great. But their War and Peace has the restored French which ends up you reading a ton of translated French in the footnotes. I prefer the Maude translation that has the French translated right into the main work. Tolstoy himself approved of Maude's translation.
>>
>>9457977

War and feels.

>what I read

war and peace

>what I expected

War, Russians, Napoleon, Aristocrats

>what I got

"...and ANOTHER reason historians are a bunch of cunts is...."
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.