[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Food of the Gods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Seemed like a classic for those interested in psychedelics. About 50 pages in. Interesting, but kind of repetitive so far. Thoughts about the book/McKenna?
>>
>>9457920
debunked pseudoscience for hippie degenerates
>>
>>9458061
Pretty much this. Don't take him too seriously unless you want someone to teach you how to use psychedelics.
>>
>>9458071
>>9458061

What exactly has been debunked about it? Like I said I am not finished with it, but it seems like his main theory of psychoactive mushroom use leading to the advance of linguistics isn't too insane to me. Don't have a dog in this fight, just curious to the specifics of what you say has been debunked?
>>
It's speculative and generally not in vogue to say positive things about drugs in the academia despite them promoting less plausible and equally speculative things like evopsych
>>
>>9458093
Drugs are bad, mmkay?
>>
>>9457920
>Thoughts about . . . McKenna

I like that Shpongle song that features him talking about a greeting amongst gnomes
>>
>>9458185
Dude. Same. I heard that in like '04 or something. Put me on a quest to do dmt that seemed lifelong but only in the sense that I was reborn after and I've been living with different goals since
>>
McKenna's "stoned ape" theory has not received attention from the scientific community and has been criticized for a relative lack of citation to any of the paleoanthropological evidence informing our understanding of human origins. His ideas regarding psilocybin and visual acuity have been criticized by suggesting he misrepresented Fischer et al., who published studies about visual perception in terms of various specific parameters, not acuity. Criticism has also been expressed due to the fact that in a separate study on psilocybin induced transformation of visual space Fischer et al. stated that psilocybin "may not be conducive to the survival of the organism". There is also a lack of scientific evidence that psilocybin increases sexual arousal, and even if it does, it does not necessarily entail an evolutionary advantage.
>>
I think some of his sound bytes are good to hold on to, and he is reasonably unbiased when considering theories. But at times can become swept up in a loose argument. Just take the time wave for example, a complete paper/novel called the invisible landscape with a half on an even more chemically confuounding theory by his brother, about the I Ching etc. But I like the commitment to these theories, it means we have something intelligently considered to build upon rather than COMPLETELY speculative nonsense developed by spiritual autodidacts at times. Thing is he was open to being critical, a difficult balance and he didn't always achieve it, but he knew the importance for sure and it comes through in his writing, at least the later stuff I've read.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.