[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the English language a good language for written works? Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: xKAP3.png (221KB, 1293x491px) Image search: [Google]
xKAP3.png
221KB, 1293x491px
Is the English language a good language for written works? Is there a forme of literature that it is particularly good at? Or is it just a lingua franca for those without a large population to support a culture of writing?
>>
English is the best language for written works only if American English is used.
>>
>>9457774
American English is butt-ugly. British English is much more pleasant.
>>
>>9458269
It really isn't, its clunky and overly theatrical
>>
>>9458269
Fuck you.
>>
File: 547e59f63e343.jpg (31KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
547e59f63e343.jpg
31KB, 650x366px
>>9458269 #
Oi Mate. Ai delinquently spectate that indubitably doest prospect so. Corr blimey me bollocks wot a spectacle does envolope
>>
File: BUCDdMUIUAAxqmu.jpg (39KB, 461x640px) Image search: [Google]
BUCDdMUIUAAxqmu.jpg
39KB, 461x640px
>>9457762

Gabh mo leithsceal mo chara yank ach nílimid anglophones tá do pictiúr bollox
>>
>>9458320
MY LOOOOOOOOVE'S IN GERMANY

SEND HIM HAME

SEND HIM HAME
>>
>>9458320
Oh shut the fuck up you cringey Shinner
>>
File: memes.jpg (60KB, 750x722px) Image search: [Google]
memes.jpg
60KB, 750x722px
>>9458328

>cringey

Vote sinn féin
>>
File: sdfasfd.jpg (43KB, 400x594px) Image search: [Google]
sdfasfd.jpg
43KB, 400x594px
>>9458337
I have and will but I wont be happy about it
>>
>>9458275
In what way is it "theatrical"?

It's exactly the same as American English apart from the spelling is more aesthetically pleasing and it doesn't have as many silly native money-centric/business-centric idioms.
>>
>>9458375
>as many silly native money-centric/business-centric idioms.

Yeah the language of getting shit done as opposed to British idioms which make you sound like you're doing improv pantomine
>>
>>9458442
>Getting shit done.
>Acquiring faeces in the past.

Doesn't make a lick of sense.
>>
>>9458454
The fuck has licking to do with sense?
>>
>>9458375
>>9458442

Hiberno-English is better than either so yiz can go fuck yerselves!
>>
>>9458579
Hiberno-English is an absorbed subset of American English
>>
>>9458442
You're really not providing very much evidence or explanation for your claims -- British and American English only really differ in spelling and slang, with a few very minor differences like 'fill in' vs. 'fill out'.
>>
>>9458589
'tisn't
>>
>>9458604
We're talking about the spirit of the dialects not your autistic reddit analysis
>>
>>9458995
>reddit

Fuck me you faggots are obsessed with reddit. I came here to get away from it and yet every ten minutes somebody brings it up.
>>
>>9459021
Sounds like you should learn to write.
>>
>>9457762
It's a very good language.
It's versatile and powerful.
Elizabethan poets dragged it kicking and screaming to a state of prestige on par with Latin and ancient Greek, subsequent poets and prose writers cemented the association. It's both a widely spoken language and has been at the zenith of civilization and sophistication for centuries now.
Other languages are interesting (especially Russian), don't get me wrong but even those who don't like the role of (the) English in the world recognize the Shakespeare is the greatest dramatist outside of antiquity and that the Romantics are preternaturally good.
>>
>>9458269
This was true until the early 2000s, imo
>>
>>9458320
>Gabh mo leithsceal
Níl ann nó ionat ach leithsceal. Deirtear "Is Fearr Gaeilge Bríste Ná Béarla Cliste" ach ní bheadh aon dóchas agam go bhfuil tú cliste as Bearla. Is uafás gráinne í do Ghaelainn.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.