[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grammar quiz and general grammar thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: its.png (4KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
its.png
4KB, 200x200px
Alright you god dam fagets time for a rude awakining, did you think you were good at gramer because NEWS FLASH yo'ure fuckin not. Here's a quiz put together by the man himself the bandanna'd frek of nature Himself:

https://101books.net/2011/04/22/the-david-foster-wallace-grammar-quiz/

I got 8/10 because I'm not got dam reterded.

Also general opinions on the necessity of proper gramer, why its important to corect peoples speech and writengs whenever posible, and how smart your mom thinks you is.
>>
>>9457759
gay as AIDS
>>
>>9457759
Actually taking issue with split infinitives... ewwww
>>
>>9457759
I got them all but I don't agree they're all errors.
>>
>>9457759
>good at grammar
If you speak a language, you're good at grammar. By definition you're perfectly competent with the grammar of your native language. It might just so happen that your particular dialect differs from the variety which happens to have been arbitrarily chosen as the standard in ways which have acquired social associations. For instance, there is nothing wrong with ending a sentence in a preposition according to the rules of any natural dialect of English, but the largely fabricated literary standard includes an entirely unnatural stipulation against doing so.
>>
i added a comma for 2 instead of at, didn't get 4 or 9. saw whence coming from a mile away, as well as the split infinitive. jeez
>>
File: BAS102.png (331KB, 597x577px) Image search: [Google]
BAS102.png
331KB, 597x577px
>>9457768
or AIDS as gay. your choice.
>>
Please someone rec a good grammar book.

Also, has anyone read Practically Painless English? It's by DFW's mom.
>>
In this bit of pedantry, why is "I fed only the dog" wrong?
>“I fed the dog.”
>“Did you feed the parakeet?”
>“I fed only the dog.”
>“Did anyone else feed the dog?”
>“Only I fed the dog.”
>“Did you fondle/molest the dog?”
>“I only fed the dog!” [Here Wallace’s voice cracked funnily.]
>>
File: 1488507226974.jpg (44KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1488507226974.jpg
44KB, 960x540px
>>9457759

>Prescriptivists
>>
>>9462350
The point is that all of those are grammatically correct, yet have different meanings.
>>
>>9462452
I'm not asking the right question.
>>
>>9462350
He's saying he didn't feed the parakeet, he fed only the dog.
>>
'another' originally meant 'the second of two', so to say 'one another' must refer to more than two is absurd, even by prescriptivist standards.
>>
>>9457759
I got 7 and trust me most of them are common sense.... Didn't study English as a primary subject but yes those sentences sounded wrong to my ignorant mind.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.