[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think about the West Coast's Great Gatsby?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: fante3.png (755KB, 437x633px) Image search: [Google]
fante3.png
755KB, 437x633px
What does /lit/ think about the West Coast's Great Gatsby?
>>
I liked it. Need to reread it again some time.
>>
one of my favorite books of all time. i dont see how its like the great gatsby though.
>>
>>9456399
Comfy. A favorite of William Burroughs. Was it ever made into a movie?
>>
Is this book part of a series or something? It says #3 next to the author on Goodreads for some reason.
>>
it was ok but books where the protag is a struggling writer are a little eye-rolley
>>
>>9457733
they all have the same character but there's no necessary continuity
>>
Quick run down on this novel?
>>
>>9458372
>9458372
Bukowski's favorite book which inspired him to become a writer. It's about a writer in Los Angeles during the 30's, living in abject poverty, trying to make money getting published. He's involved with some women. I don't entirely remember what happens, but the novel is written with simple, honest prose and there's nothing overly eloquent or disingenuous about it. I liked it for this reason.

>>9457687
It was comfy. It was made into a movie with Colin Farrel, but I wouldn't even bother.
>>
>>9457733
There are four Bandini books but like >>9457749 says they're all independent. Ask the Dust was the second published, but the third written (The Road to Los Angeles was written in the 1930s but wasn't published till the 1980s).

I prefer Wait Until Spring, Bandini and Dreams from Bunker Hill over the other two. Not sure why people gravitate to Ask the Dust. Fante's best novel is a non-Bandini one, The Brotherhood of the Grape.
>>
I enjoyed it. His degenerate son writes well too.
>>
>>9458372
Italian-American kid moves away from his home in Colorado to become a writer in LA during the 1930's depression. He's poor, self loathing, hungry, and he falls in love with a spic waitress who he cannot ever have, and so it goes.

A great read imo.
>>
>>9459988
>he falls in love with a spic waitress who he cannot ever have, and so it goes.

maybe your betaness was influencing your reading, or maybe the movie was different from the book and you didn't actually read it, but he could have smashed when she pretended to drown at the beach, but he was too beta
>>
>>9456399
if you enjoyed this you should read Knut Hamsun's "Hunger"
>>
>>9458372
This is a novel about the time when weed turned you into a strung out meth whore. Our weed isn't strong enough these days so it isn't an issue like it was then.
>>
>>9460015
How do you pronounce Knut
>>
>>9460125
>weed designed by scientists in labs smoked out of futuristic devices designed by engineers to maximize your high
>not as strong as some cheap shit laced with dirt sold by a Mexican who found it on the side of the road
>>9460752
noot
>>
>>9460788
thanks chief
>>
>>9460752
cnoot
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.