[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

translations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Not sure if /lit/ or /adv/
Wannabe translator here, about to jump into /lit/ translation. Any tips from old veterans? How slow is too slow? How fast is too fast?

I've been translating academic articles and shit for some years. Recently, I've got a job offer to deal with a whole novel. The thing is that I've been using google translate and dictionaries and nobody ever complained, but I reckon /lit/ stuff perhaps requires more complex tools. What am I in for?

To make it more /lit/ related, feel free to add your own translator horror stories.
>>
>>9455505
translators should be persecuted so people learn more languages and read the exact words the author chose.
>>
>>9455508
No bully. I take special care with that. I fucking hate localizations and I get triggered when I see a big fuckup.

Teacher told us we can be a bit "loose" with terms and expressions, but I'd rather get the accurate meaning.
>>
Which language are you translating from?
>>
>>9455550
Spanish and Italian.
>>
>>9455505
1. understand the cultural context of both the original language and the translation you're doing
2. Don't just flip words with a dictionary then smooth them out to something readable, be familiar with the work, the message, the ideas, the characterization.
3. Don't miss the goddamn puns
4. Reword parts that don't translate well into something the reader will understand and be familiar with. If it doesn't word accurately, reword it. Use a metaphor or common phrase or analogy in order for reader's from a separate culture to understand the message of the author's intent, or the "spirit" of it.
5. Perfect linguistic accuracy of translation is not a virtue and will only alienate the readers.
6. Translate the fucking french parts. Just italicize it or some shit.
>>
File: C-BARILXcAAxFf6.jpg (75KB, 492x648px) Image search: [Google]
C-BARILXcAAxFf6.jpg
75KB, 492x648px
>>9455508
I used to think the same when I was 17. Now I realize how fucking stupid that is.

It's obviously better to read the original text, and almost necessary if you're reading poetry or really great prose, but when it comes to most of novels or philosophy, you can definitively read a translation. If you're reading a really great book (Let's say Dostoievsky), chances are the translator is a qualified professional who is deeply interested into what he's translating: he's not going to give you the exact same book, but he's going to give his best and convey the same point.

Before you call me a faggot and tell me I'm a stupid americuck who can only speak english, I add that I speak three languages.
>>
>>9455582
Will google translate and your average English dictionary work? Idioms I know plenty of them, and whatever I don't know myself I'd just do a quick research online. Shouldn't be too hard, right?
>>
File: euskadi.jpg (53KB, 420x272px) Image search: [Google]
euskadi.jpg
53KB, 420x272px
>>9455505
Basque flag?
>>
>>9455590
Obviously I am exaggerating but people really should feel enticed to learn more languages but if the understanding isn't conveyed to people anymore that you do not fully get to appreciate a work if you read its translated form people will see for example a english translation of Goethe as suffice.
If you really believe that simply still being able to understand the plot and what little remains of their syntax and prose is enough to the stories of so many great writers you might as well go read some 'quality' YA novels and admire the never ending, plot twisting tv shows that are so absolutely great nowadays.
I'm never gonna come around and put in the effort to learn ancient greek or Russian but don't want to miss out on their books either so that is where I am thankfull for translations. Doesn't mean I should have never learned french or english to a level I can appreciate Poe's choice of words over Hemingway's comparibly dull and banal phrases.
>>
>>9455508
/thread
>>
>>9455508
>translations
fags are just looking for more excuses to put off reading so they can shitpost on /lit/
>>
>>9455508
>translators should be persecuted so people learn more languages
Sure, because you can learn all the languages in the world.
Protip: you can, but it takes time. Some people can't afford to sacrifice all that time.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.