[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting with the Bible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: detective-006.jpg (42KB, 435x544px) Image search: [Google]
detective-006.jpg
42KB, 435x544px
Should I read the Bible before reading other serious literature? Most great authors were religious and many books have references to the bible or religious undertones. I have read some Dostoevsky and Tolstoy and always felt that I would understand their work better if I had read the bible. Not only that, but the Bible is considered one of the greatest pieces of literature ever made.

The only thing putting me off is the size of it.
>>
Read separate books of the bible in between reading other works.
>>
>>9454005
agreed
>>
>>9454005
>>9454020
I am currently finishing Genesis. Do you mean reading like this:
>Genesis
>Crime and Punishment
>Exodus
>brothers karamazov
>Leviticus
>etc.
I am just beginning getting into serious lit, I haven't read all classics, except the few that I finished in the last half a year.
>>
>>9454022
Yes, read the gospels and acts too.
>>
>>9454002
At the very least read Genesis, Exodus, Job, Ecclesiastes, Psalms, Isaiah, The Gospels, Acts, the books that end in "ians", and Revelation.
>>
>>9454025
>>9454026
I haven't really considered what exact books to read and just go from start to finish, is that a bad idea? I'm not really religious so it's mostly reading it for literature's sake.

Should I research the most important books and read them instead of trying to read the whole thing?
>>
>>9454040
It isn't meant to be read cover to cover, you probably wouldn't make it out of Deuteronomy. The Bible is a collection of 66 books of varying genre, authorship, and subject matter written over a span of over 2,500 years. skipping around is almost mandatory.

Read the ones I listed, it's not that much, then read the old testament Bible stories and prophet books if you feel so inclined.
Of absolute importance are The Gospels, Gen/Ex, Job and Ecclesiastes, but you should read those others too
>>
File: tumblr_n61kydt6b01t89rpeo1_500.gif (838KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n61kydt6b01t89rpeo1_500.gif
838KB, 500x281px
>>9454064
Thank you guys, always a great help.
>>
Book of Jeremiah is the best.
>>
>>9454002
I'd recommend you pick up a book of the Bible and a commentary on it. Read it once or twice blind then go through a commentary. Pick older commentaries too from key intellectual figures of the religion (Jewish/Christian for the OT and Christian for the NT) as they tend to be better by standing the test of time.

Obvious recommendations are Genesis, Wisdom Books, Gospels, and such.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.