[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This kills the /pol/edditor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

>>
>>9452395
I used to be a Trump supporter but reading this after seeing his actual presidency really changed my mind on racism
>>
A widely criticized fluff piece by a non-expert changed your mind on the standing president?
>>
>>9452395
this gave me an authentic nerd moment
>>
File: feelee.jpg (118KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
feelee.jpg
118KB, 645x773px
>>9452395
blumpfletootkins btfo
>>
>>9452395

>Charles Darwin, Karl Marx, Jared Diamond

The three pillars of explaining everything on earth. With these three main works you can understand and predict the course of the planet earth
>>
>>9452431
>widely criticized
By ideologues who haven't read it, yes
>fluff piece
Lmao
>>
>>9452469
Exactly, Darwin and Einstein are "widely criticised"
>>
>>9452395
>>9452415
>>9452431
>>9452438
>>9452448
>>9452452
>>9452469
>don't realize the OP is a /pol/faggot who wants people to validate his opinions
>>
>>9452452
>blame the church!
>blame the bourgeois!
>blame white people!
>>
>>9452479
>doesn't realize I'm a /pol/faggot too
>doesn't realize everyone he replied to is a /pol/faggot
>doesn't realize he himself is a /pol/faggot without knowing it
/pol/ is everywhere, even places it is not.
>>
>>9452479
another authentic nerd moment
>>
>>9452469
>By ideologues who haven't read it, yes
Acemoglu and Fukuyama?
>>
Is there an actual argument against geographical determinism or just /pol/ reeeeing?
>>
>>9452395

>whiteness isn't inherently good or bad

I'm okay with this. Don't blame white people. Blame geography.
>>
>>9452561
Well, everything I disagree with is /pol/ reeeeing, so probably not
>>
>>9452395
Not really. /pol/tards are scum, but I don't think GG&S does a good job of refuting them. Jared Diamond clearly started out with the fixed assumption that races are equal, and then spent a bunch of time backing up that assumption with speculations. It isn't really a free investigation into the truth of things.
>>
>>9452825
Cont...
Although to be fair, I haven't read the book in years. Maybe I'm misremembering something.
>>
>>9452395
This stands on the assumption that all humans were equal, blank slates who exploited the geographical resources around them to create unequal civilizations. If he weren't a subversive Jew he would have written that humans developed unequally because of geography and exploited the resources around them creating unequal civilizations.

Equality is a lie.
>>
>>9452561
Geographic determinism is embraced by /pol/ if you don't come at it with the assumption that all humans are equal. Which makes no fucking sense why JD would come at it from that perspective. The only way his theory makes any sense is by coming at it from a biblical sense in that humans were created fully developed and only came to be unequal due to the geographical resources in their settled areas.
>>
>>9452845
The conclusions drawn from the model of geographic determinism still work if you factor in biological differences in ethnic groups. Conversely, these biological differences alone don't do much to explain the historical development of said groups.
I can only assume Diamond approached the model from a perspective of perfect human equality to either more clearly delineate the roles geographical elements play in the deterministic process, or to avoid being labeled a race realist (which, hoo boy did that backfire)
>>
/his/ rapes this book all day. Don't bother trying to get critique from these kids. I bet they liked the book for its prose.
>>
>>9452561
Its basically a worse version of determism, for obvious reasons.

Also, remember that blacks having less intelligence can be true even if Jared is 100% correct.
>>
>>9452395
I would post a pic of a zebra being ridden with the caption "this kills the il/lit/erate" but I can't be arsed to.
>>
>>9453029
Zebras aren't domesticated animals.
>>
>>9452944
/lit/ probably knows more about history than most /his/ posters do t b h
>>
>>9452825
>>9452829
>2 lines
>2 posts
did you forget you weren't on twatter or something?
>>
>>9453116
He's most likely one of the shills from yesterday.
>>
>>9452561
The institutional argument. Diamond can explain why Spain conquered the new world, but he can't explain why Congo is hell on earth but Botswana is relatively functional. Inclusive vs exclusive institutions does.
>>
>>9453071
This is true, but also that book is shit, almost as shit as the city of /his/
>>
>>9452395
>Diamond
Really fires up them neurons, thanks greatest ally
>>
>>9452899
>biblical sense
If that's what you got from Genesis...
>>
>>9452482
Jared Diamond didn't blame white people. he blamed geography. you haven't read it, have you?
>>
>>9452395
That was what surprised me about that book. It seemed to be written to refute the idea that genes determine history- but afaik nobody had seriously argued that for many decades- it's /pol/ meme territory.

On the other hand, I guess evolutionary psychology etc might be bringing some of that stuff back, so maybe that's what he was after. Still felt like a weird anachronistic strawman to me.
>>
File: guns germs and steel.jpg (454KB, 1551x805px) Image search: [Google]
guns germs and steel.jpg
454KB, 1551x805px
>>
>>9454062
He's attributing Europe's success to geography and not to Europeans, and, say, Aborigine Australia's failures to geography and not to Aborigines.

This new, progressive narrative really tilts the pool table in a more thinky-making direction. It's like getting your world rocked in a rabbinic debate - such clever use of definitions, shuffling cause and effect like cards. Such chutzpah.
>>
>Jared Diamond's pseudoscientific sociological nonsense BTFO in a single image
>>
>>9454116
>He's attributing Europe's success to geography and not to Europeans, and, say, Aborigine Australia's failures to geography and not to Aborigines.

From what I remember he doesn't attribute "success" or "failures" at all in such an opinionated way.

Aboriginal peoples failures were primarily that they were isolated for many many years and as a result had very little technology or disease resistance, otherwise they would have continued to live rather nice lives in what was essentially an abundant paradise of seafood and wallaby meat.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.