[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy shit this book is depressing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Blindsight.jpg (246KB, 1024x1535px) Image search: [Google]
Blindsight.jpg
246KB, 1024x1535px
Holy shit this book is depressing.
>>
I heard as much. Looking forward to reading it.
>>
>>9450881
I wouldn't call it depressing really. Probably more sobering.

Either way it's a good read. Echopraxia is also decent, but Blindsight is a bit better.
>>
>>9450881
It's actually available on his website.
>>
I've been thinking about picking this up for a little while.

I think I remember this was a pretty big inspiration for that SOMA game. I never played that but I imagine those of you that have and read this book can make of that what you will.
>>
i thought it was great even though i really don't like how peter watts writes. it's a rare book where the ideas and themes are so strong that it overcomes its awful prose and tone.
>>
>>9451213
I agree the themes and ideas are strong and are put forward well enough in the frame that the story gives.

I think his prose is not awful though. Of course it has the expected scifi tropes (neologisms, progressive liberal values taken as norm or even outdated, 'technobabble' that is basically the writer imagining how joyce might write a textbook etc.), but it's grabbing. He at least makes it interesting and consistent within the universe he has imagined; although occasionally this consistency will bleed into repetition a little too much.

His dialogue is fairly weak and his humour, as with all scifi """""humour""""" is cringe at best, so unfortunately that drags the quality down a bit, but overall I don't think his prose is as offensive as most might say right off the bat, and certainly not as bad as your generic 400 page space opera in the scifi section of an airport bookshop.
>>
New Peter Watts book when?
>>
>>9450881
now read the Island novellas
>>
>>9451260

i agree that i've read worse prose in sci fi/fantasy and you're right that his prose is at least serviceable and flows well enough to keep up the pace and the reader's interest.

i guess what i don't like is that it comes across as smug to me, like i can hear the author in the background thinking how clever he is and how edgy he is being. all of his books have the same feel, as well as his non-fiction writing which i've read a bit of (his blog, the research appendices in his novels, etc.). maybe it's just me but i find it very grating.

still, i think it's a great book, so i don't mean to be too down on it
>>
>>9450881
Does Space Raptor Butt Invasion have a "Hugo Award Finalist" on it's cover too?
>>
>>9451365
>like i can hear the author in the background thinking how clever he is and how edgy he is being. all of his books have the same feel, as well as his non-fiction writing which i've read a bit of (his blog, the research appendices in his novels, etc.)
He is Canadian, yes.
>>
>>9450881
Echopraxia is even more depressing desu
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.