[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

aesthetics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1490760875834.jpg (27KB, 402x402px) Image search: [Google]
1490760875834.jpg
27KB, 402x402px
most interesting authors on aesthetics?

people i've checked out:
>adorno
>goodman
>schop
>kant
>aristotle
>neitzsche
>plato
>danto

any good living writers on aesthetics? also, anyone familiar with philosophers who have tried to write about something like 'what it is to be cool'?
>>
(((them))): freud(muh sublimation), benjamin(muh aura), brecht(muh collective)
>>
>>9450682
>anyone familiar with philosophers who have tried to write about something like 'what it is to be cool'?

Barthes has an essay on that in Mythologies, it's mostly about how 1950s America gangsters are so cool, rather than like why hip-hop guys with their ass hanging out of their pants are cool, it was written in a different era, but basically still applies today
>>
Hegel is unprecedented, not a single name you have listed compares to his work.

Heidegger's aesthetics (Holzwege) is amazing as well.
>>
>>9450780
working my way through phenomenology right now actually - am i going to come across his aesthetics, or did you have a different work in mind?

will check out heidegger

>>9450773
that sounds perfect. thank you
>>
>>9450780
Let me add one more thing: Kant's aesthetics are essentially anti-aesthetics. His intention was not to provide a deep analysis of aesthetic objects (e.g. art, just take a look at the disparity of examples he offers in the Critique of Judgement). On the contrary, all he wanted to do was to constitute an a priori that makes inter subjective judgement of beauty possible - by doing so, Kant established a clear distinction between the domain of theory and feeling, thus rendering aesthetics incapable of providing any knowledge. That is how he devalorized art - Kant makes a distinction between pure and impure beauty: pure beauty being beauty that cannot be associated with any notions (for instance, any artwork is necessarily associated with a notion because it is a product of an artist's intention, therefore only the beauty of nature and ornaments can be pure). Interestingly enough, Kant's ideal of beauty is exclusively reserved for the beauty of humans, because they are the only beings capable of morality.

Anyhow, Hegel does the opposite - and that is what makes his aesthetics amazing.

You might want to consult Gadamer's Truth and Method if this topic interests you (the first ~240 pages).
>>
>>9450802
Hegel's Lectures on Aesthetics (the edition of H.G. Hotho). Hegel's original notebooks have been lost, and Hotho made a compilation of Hegel's lectures on aesthetics. Go through the first 150 pages in the first book - it is an introduction to what he discusses in the rest of the work.

On a side note, Hegel's aesthetics are (in my opinion) the best introduction to Hegel because it is his most simple work and it should help you understand his more difficult writings - e.g. the phenomenology.
>>
>>9450682
Walter Benjamin
>>
relief function and anaesthetics: arnold gehlen and odo marquard
>>
>>9450682
hume, burke
>>
>>9450682
How did no one mention Oscar Wilde yet; that was his thing
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.