[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Under the Volcano

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 9780061120152.jpg (159KB, 427x648px) Image search: [Google]
9780061120152.jpg
159KB, 427x648px
Considering buying this. I've read that in terms of the style of writing, Lowry is like a midpoint between Hemingway and Nabokov, who happen to be my two favorite writers. Would you say that's accurate?
>>
>>9447812
>Nabokov
don't see it
>Hemingway
yeah
He's good. Under the Volcano is one of my favorite books. Don't get discouraged by the first chapter.
>>
>>9447812
I purchased this book happily at an estate sale, and have attempted to read it about 3 times. It is unrelentingly boring, and doesnt even have the suicidal alcoholism I expected.
>>
>>9447832
that said:

>Don't get discouraged by the first chapter

I did all three times.
>>
I expected some hot volcano action. What I got was a Mexican soap opera.
>>
>>9447812
Does the volcano actually erupt? That would suck if only conceivably cool thing in a book about a volcano didn't happen.
>>
>>9447877
Nope. "fuck Chekhov and his gun."
>>
>>9447812
>a midpoint between Hemingway and Nabokov
Interesting description but I don't agree. I see thematic similarities to Hemingway, but the writing is not similar to either. It extensively uses stream of consciousness like many of the "high modernist" authors (think Joyce, Faulkner, Woolf) occasionally from the perspective of an alcoholic narrator. It's actually kind of a difficult read IMO.Great book, though. I say read it.
>>
>>9447812
It's honestly a very polarizing book. I found myself frustrated and annoyed throughout most of it. There were some chapters that sucked me in and others that pushed me away and literally took my several days to slog through, simply because of how meandering it seemed to be.

But the ending, in my opinion, makes it all worth it.
>>
>>9447812
I thought it was really boring. I don't see the comparison to Nabokov. The prose was too flowery for me. I gave up 40 pages in. Couldn't stand it.
>>
>>9448053
>I gave up

That was a quick way to invalidate your opinion.
>>
>>9448059
Not him, but life's too short to force yourself to create a relationship with a book that you have no connection with. The prose is boring and flowery and almost dainty, and other anons have cautiously admitted it even in their praise.

I have read that it "speaks" to addicts however.
>>
>>9448066
I'd hate to say it, but literature isn't exactly meant to be "exciting", so claiming its boring & giving up is pretty silly. I don't think the book is great, but I do think it's worth reading. Its short enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

I just know that if I gave up on every book that didn't captivate me within 40 pages, I would've missed out on some of my favorite novels.
>>
>>9448073
We arent talking about "no 'sposhuns."

The prose and pacing in this book is deeply tedious, and I am willing to give credit to Lowry as the work is meant to reflect this gentleman being stuck in the asshole of the world.
>>
File: 1490129184705.png (141KB, 623x374px) Image search: [Google]
1490129184705.png
141KB, 623x374px
>>9447812
>>
>>9448053
>40 pages in
>chapter 1 literally ends on page 40

>>9447831
>>
>>9448269
Eh, let them be ignorant. That way if they ever get into a conversation about literature irl and someone asks their opinion on Under the Volcano, they can flaunt their ignorance.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.