[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is William Faulkner the greatest American author ever?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2615.jpg (25KB, 162x227px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2615.jpg
25KB, 162x227px
Is William Faulkner the greatest American author ever?
>>
Cormac McCarthy out-Faulkners Faulkner
>>
>>9447321
That's not Henry James.
>>
>>9447321
Of course not, you fucking prosefaggot.
>>
>>9447340
This. Henry James is the only American novelist who can compare with the European greats
>>
Not only the greatest American author, but the greatest author of all time.
>>
Pynchon is Faulkner 2.0
>>
>>9447437
Sorry, you cant cook an omelet twice, you just get a burnt mess of chicken menstruation.
>>
>>9447321
It's probably Henry James.
>>
>>9447321
That's not how you spell Melville
>>
>he took the bread
>then he ate the bread

amazing
>>
File: ErnestHemingway.jpg (1MB, 1500x1873px) Image search: [Google]
ErnestHemingway.jpg
1MB, 1500x1873px
In my country, this man is everything.
>>
No. saul bellow is
>>
>>9447321
Yes. He's up there with Poe and Whitman. If you're American and haven't read him you're missing out.
>>
>>9447681
gibe cigars, raul
>>
>>9447321

After Melville and McCarthy, probably yes
>>
>>9447321
>Best American author
>Not TS Eliot or Ezra Pound
Holy shit that's some bad taste
>>
>>9447321
He's up there, sure.
>>
>>9447693
Objectively speaking, Jews can't be part of the Western canon.
>>
Its Melville undoubtably.

To those who would might question McCarthy, you should read Suttree.
>>
>>9448360
Objectively speaking, the Bible was written by jews and is the basis of the western canon.
>>
>>9448375
But blood meridian is better
>>
>>9447347
>He's this upset that he's too much of a brainlet to appreciate good prose
>>
>Best american writer
Melville, Gaddis or Pynchon if you want me to be serious.
>>
>>9447437
Nothing Pynchon has written is anywhere near as good as As I Lay Dying or The Sound and The Fury.
>>
>>9448396
Get some sleep bloom, its getting late.

To be honest I think it is a matter of distinct personal preference, Suttree or Blood Meridian. Both express in different and beautiful ways the identity and experience of being American, some will get more out of one or the other.
>>
>>9448411
Gravity's rainbow and M&D are better, even V. is up there
>>
As I Die Reading was rather boring imo
>>
Are you guys all retarded. No one in this thread has written anythng near as great as women and men. Joseph Mcelroy is the greatest american author of all time.
>>
>>9447321
he's definitely good but I cant read fiction without feeling like I'm wasting my time...I really liked The Sound and the Fury senpai
>>
File: Empowering-Essayist-ART_0.jpg (93KB, 458x334px) Image search: [Google]
Empowering-Essayist-ART_0.jpg
93KB, 458x334px
What does /lit/ think of Emerson? I never seem him discussed here.
>>
>>9448657
Transcendentalists are too often quickly dismissed. There is such passion in their writing, you can sense how important it was to them declaring and marking territory for the new nation.

Emerson is a joy to read, especially where poetry is concerned.

And Dickens was a fan:

>...there has sprung up in Boston a sect of philosophers known as Transcendentalists. On inquiring what this appellation might be supposed to signify, I was given to understand that whatever was unintelligible would be certainly transcendental. Not deriving much comfort from this elucidation, I pursued the inquiry still further, and found that the Transcendentalists are followers of my friend Mr. Carlyle, or, I should rather say, of a follower of his, Mr. Ralph Waldo Emerson. This gentleman has written a volume of Essays, in which, among much that is dreamy and fanciful (if he will pardon me for saying so), there is much more that is true and manly, honest and bold. Transcendentalism has its occasional vagaries (what school has not?) but it has good healthful qualities in spite of them; not least among the number a hearty disgust of Cant, and an aptitude to detect her in all the million varieties of her everlasting wardrobe. And therefore if I were a Bostonian, I think I would be a Transcendentalist.
>>
>>9448657
>>9448701

his essay on the subject basically calls for society to accept a bunch of bums who sit around doing fuck all to contribute to society

b-but they will m-make art when the time comes!
>>
i feel like light in august by him gets overlooked a lot and honestly i think its his best book. Joe Christmas is a character i have never forgetten.
>>
>>9447321
Sound and the Fury is fucking beautiful.
>>
>>9449021
I agree, extremely overrated book. Christmas is, in my opinion, one of the most developed, complex, and tragic characters in literature.
>>
>>9449030
>once a bitch, always a bitch
Could Jason be any more based?
>>
>>9447638
This fag gets it
>>
>>9448479
Garbage tast. I like pynchon, but you can hardly compare the two
>>
>>9449259
Nah, he's cucked by his own love of money. Dilsey is the ultimate matriarch.
>>
>>9449030
Oops, meant underrated*.
>>
no Steven king is the best author
>>
File: james-joyce-9358676-2-raw.jpg (137KB, 851x1200px) Image search: [Google]
james-joyce-9358676-2-raw.jpg
137KB, 851x1200px
>>9447397
Bro he's not even top modernist
>>
>>9448644
Do you really think that, or are you memeing? Do you really think he's better than Melville, Faulkner and the rest? And better than the other postmodernists, Gass, Gaddis, Pynchon?
>>
Mark Twain
>>
I prefer Nathaniel Hawthorne and Herman Melville.
>>
>>9448383
OWNED
>>
>>9448646
>>9449027
This. He's definitly up there as one of the greats. But tbf, i haven't read enough American /lit/ to be totally objective. Still, the Sound and the Fury is beautiful. It's actually what got me into lit in the first place.

>Only had to read the first two sections in class
> finished the book on my own anyway because of how great it was

>>9449259
One of my favorite quotes, desu. Too bad Jason can't live up to the precedent it sets.
>>
who else is a southern gothic writer?
>>
>>9449834
Yeah I do. Hes much smarter aswell. Almost too smart. If you would like a quick rundown on mcelroy ead ancien history.
>>
>>9452148
Flannery O'Connor
>>
File: 1492569681579.jpg (73KB, 631x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492569681579.jpg
73KB, 631x600px
>>9448403
>good prose
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.