[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books on the Arthurian legend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: Holy-Grail-re-release-080415.jpg (310KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Holy-Grail-re-release-080415.jpg
310KB, 970x545px
What are the best books about King Arthur, Merlin, Knights of the Round Table etc.?
I just picked up A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, but are there any more serious books on the Arthurian legend? What are your favourites? Any input is appreciated, thanks
>>
>>9446827
the only one i've found worth reading, IMHO, is "the once and future king." if you read this as an adult, you should have already read:
>"le morte d'arthur"
AND/OR
>the arthurian section of "bulfinch's mythology"
AND
>"sir gawain and the green knight"

even if you don't, though, it's still the definitive version of arthur.
makes me cry like a bitch in many places throughout the story desu senpai

strangely enough, last night i was looking for a good movie on arthur—couldn't find anything, so i downloaded "monty python" and resolved to watch it today and show it, for the first time, to my wife
>>
>>9446827
Idylls of the king.
Tennyson is by far the most talented writer to deal with the subject
>>
>>9447331
Idylls are great, but there are not enough of them!
>>
File: galahad.jpg (55KB, 576x480px) Image search: [Google]
galahad.jpg
55KB, 576x480px
>>9447331
This. Tennyson's Idylls and Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur. Another you may inevitably come across is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Pay special attention to the knights characters. They have been reused innumerable times in stories, plays, movies, etc.
>>
File: 1491487122119.jpg (798KB, 2760x2717px) Image search: [Google]
1491487122119.jpg
798KB, 2760x2717px
>>9447175
My man watch Excalibur. Its so surreal.
>>
>>9446827
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is brilliant. If you're patrician you'll understand his struggle between his own values and the values society deems he is supposed to have.

Also, King Arthur and his Knights, Howard Pyle. It is filled with stories of heroism as well as comfy blessings from Mr Pyle, wishing you courage and bravery and a long, successful life.
>>
Who is the most spooked man who ever existed?
>>
File: 1491402416711.jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1491402416711.jpg
52KB, 500x500px
Not OP, which editions of Sir Gawain and Morte d'Arthur should I go with?

Norton Critical?
>>
>>9448185
>Sir Gawain
Borroff is the most recognized translation, I think.

>Norton Critical?
Sure, if you have the shelf space.
>>
>>9446827
Read books from Chretien de troyes.
>>
>>9447915
maybe; i'd like something more sentimental yet accurate over something fantastical like this. i'll definitely watch it sometime in my life, but i'd rather see someone like michael winterbottom adapt t.h. white.

i've never seen any michael winterbottom film except for the ones featuring Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan... but "Tristram Shandy" is THE best literary adaptation i've ever seen.
>>
Only things I can recommend other than what's posted in the thread are:

The Mists of Avalon
The Once and Future King

Also, I believe Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat is supposed to be an Arthurian adaptation or something, but I haven't read it.
>>
Read Chretien de Troyes and Wolfram von Eschenbach.
>>
>>9447175
New King Arthur by Guy Ritchie looks decent
>>
>>9447938
This guy gets it, Howard Pyle is absolutely wonderful - I'd actually reccomend reading it before you get into the thicker stuff like Once and Future King or Le Morte D'Arthur because it's such a joy to read all the stories as they're told here (not saying that Le Morte isn't a great read, but it is very ye olde and Pyle is a really good place for someone to jump in from)
Pyle's prose feels like it glitters off the page, and his illustrations uplift the whole thing into a truly spectacular experience.
>>
>>9447915
Excalibur goes back and forth from good to wtf_am_i_watching.jpg. It has a young sexy Helen Mirren too, which is a strange thing to type. Williamson's Merlin is a campy hoot.

As far as what to read, obviously Mallory.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (43KB, 430x648px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
43KB, 430x648px
>>9449449
>Steinbeck

WITH A FOREWORD BY CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI
>>
File: 2017-05-01-205408.jpg (147KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-01-205408.jpg
147KB, 960x544px
>>
>>9450304
Without having read it or even heard of it, my senses tell me the confiness levels of this are off the charts. Anyone can confirm?
>>
>>9451326
If you like Eragon you are sure to love this one!
>>
>>9450304
Lol thats like the bible with a forward by stephen king
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.