[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Huxley was the more clever and perceptive speculator. Orwell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: orwell-huxley.jpg (27KB, 520x252px) Image search: [Google]
orwell-huxley.jpg
27KB, 520x252px
Huxley was the more clever and perceptive speculator.

Orwell was the better writer.

Discuss.
>>
Outside BNW and 1984, their works don't have much in common. Orwell was more of an essayist and Huxley was more of a philosopher/literateur.
>>
>>9446451
We're living an Orwellian nightmare, was Orwell a psychic?
>>
>>9446624
We are definitely living in a Huxley nightmare. Info overload. Reality tv and Fast food serving as distraction. The obsession with pleasure is ruining us.
>>
>>9446451
BNW was more accurate but Orwell's genius are in his essays.
>>
>>9446451

They were both very much in tune with the idea that thinking could be influenced in ways beyond biology, and both truly appreciated that ideas had powers of their own. The only difference is that George Orwell never sold out, nor did he ever try to use his observations to pacify the population.
>>
They both had great insights into just how bad things could go wrong.

Mostly unnecessary surveillance and nebulous conflict without definable goals and purposes and arbitrary regulation and enforcement without accountability, changing the meaning of words without much sense of reality, drugs being legalized and hocked for every reason (prescription and marijuana) to keep the masses dulled and complacent and unable to comprehend through thier smoky haze the real consequences and culprits), consumerism and entertainment replacing all idealism and individuality, the complete loss of meaning and direction at all levels of society, civil society decided by irrational concepts (identity politics, subculture, generational gaps) all engrained by focus on tribal affiliations (political party, religion, sports team, ect.), and the overall superficiality of everything being embraced and used as divisions and distinctions rather than promoting unity by cooperation and compromise.

I wouldn't say we are in the darkest timeline because we have avoided nuclear holocaust, but the human race has not achieved the greatness it could have by this point and the threads of it are not all 20th century. But those two authors were able to comprehend the results of a post modern world very acutely I would say.

I wouldn't say either was more or less accurate, and I'm not a literary expert to judge thier abilities and prose, but I do think from a political standpoint they are both equally invaluable.
>>
>>9446864
>i am retarded the post
>>
>>9446910

Fuck off that was a great post. Jealous faggot.
>>
>>9446910
How potently ironic.
>>
>>9446451
Why is it that 99% of the people who argue that BNW was more accurate than 1984 are massive pseuds? It's always "we are totally living in BNW free ur mind" and they act like reality TV and legalized weed are the same thing as government control over reproduction and exiling the dissidents to Iceland and so on. 1984 is misinterpreted a lot but not even remotely as much as BNW.
>>
File: 1477543932709.jpg (131KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1477543932709.jpg
131KB, 960x960px
>>9447014
Try again faggot.
>>
>>9447014
This
>>
>>9447014
True that. But there are also less annoyingly literal ways to say Huxley had a point - I mean, was Huxley literally warning about imminent global dictatorship and designer humans? Couldn't you just see that as his extreme fictionalised way to explore the impact of capitalist modernity?
>>
>>9447014
They just want to think they're smarter than their peers who've only read 1984.
>>
>>9446636
No, lad. Obsession itself is ruining us.
>>
>>9446451
Huxley was the more grandiloquent writer.
>>
>>9447492
sums it up p well
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.