[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommended Reading for Increasing Vocabulary and Speech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 1472499145493.png (207KB, 1653x917px) Image search: [Google]
1472499145493.png
207KB, 1653x917px
Hello, /lit/!

I'm middle aged and, despite being educated as an engineer, I work around mostly blue-collar types and don't get exposed to many educated people anymore. I feel like my English is getting worse, simpler. I've never been the psuedo-intellectual type, but I feel like I've been at a loss of words lately and unable to express myself and ideas. I think being around uneducated people all the time, is causing me to lose some of mine when it comes to the English language.

Does /lit/ have any recommended reading for an engineer who needs a brush up on English?
>>
Finnegans Wake
>>
Will Self
>>
>>9446148
Twilight
>>
>>9446552
>Will Self
Thanks, I'll check his stuff out. Umbrella looks interesting.

>>9446534
Looks a wee bit difficult lad.

>>9446574
:^)
>>
File: 1478671230605.gif (1MB, 217x217px) Image search: [Google]
1478671230605.gif
1MB, 217x217px
>>9446148
Herman Melville, only read Moby-Dick but I would guess that the rest are similar.

David Foster Wallace, Infinite jest, started a while back and put it down because there were so many words I didn't know. A lot of the words seem to me to never been used in real life but if you want quantity of words, try it.

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man or maybe Dubliners ( Was a while now ).

Vladimir Nabokov, personal favorite and you will learn some French as well...

Charles Dickens, not a personal favorite but still worth checking out.

Andrei Bely's book Petersburg translated by Dacid McDuff.
>>
>>9446148
Read a Nabokov novel. He uses big words a lot but not so much that it feels like translating another language. Just write down all of the words you don't understand as flashcards and study them.
>>
>>9446659
Thank you. Yeah, I'm not looking for it to be so advanced I have to put it down, so probably Wallace might not be the best for me. It's more just re-learning how to be well-spoken. I figure good literature is the best way.

I'll check out all these authors, thank you.

>>9446659
>>9446667
Which Nabokov novels do you recommend? Lolita? I read that a while back, is there another worth attempting?
>>
Dictionary
>>
Wallace Stevens.
/thread
>>
>>9446148
Read literally anything and look up words you don't know. It's that simple. I'd say it takes at least 1-2 years of dedicated reading to start noticing the effects of such a practice.
>>
>>9446715
My Nabokov list is in order

Lolita
Pale Fire
Speak, memory
Pnin

Pale Fire is considered his masterpiece by a lot of people and if you have read Lolita go for it. Speak, memory is an autobiography but still a good read.
>>
File: Maansiirtovirma.jpg (11KB, 240x233px) Image search: [Google]
Maansiirtovirma.jpg
11KB, 240x233px
>>9446148
Kauppisen Petekö se siellä enklantia opettelee,,, kjeh kjeh ...
Lontoon herratko,, maata haluaa siirtää ... kjeh kjeh ...
Se on kuule Olovi kolmosella ja lihaksilla työ ukot töitä tekkee.... ei kIELILLÄ... KJEH HEH HEH HEH
>>
>>9446148
Frank Herbert, Dune
>>
>>9446148
Read 4chan and reddit. Srs.
(I'm new here, what does /lit/ think of my advice?)
>>
>>9446846
Cheers
>>
>>9446957
4chan has done irreparable damage to my grammar
>>
>>9446918
>No response
OP aren't you finnish?
Would feel a right doofus if you weren't
>>
>>9446957
I think that's part of my problem though. I work with uneducated, many of whom haven't graduated high school, and then I go home and shitpost on a Mongolian basket weaving forum.
>>
>>9446981
Not Finnish, but I love your memes. :o)
>>
File: Kauppisen Pete.jpg (64KB, 556x994px) Image search: [Google]
Kauppisen Pete.jpg
64KB, 556x994px
>>9446989
Okay, the earlier post in english

Is it Pete Kauppinen there learning enklish,,, kjeh kjeh ...
Do the lords of London,, want to move land .... kjeh kjeh ...
Lissen here, it's Olvi 3 and muscle that the work man uses to get the job done.... not laNGUAGES... KJEH HEH HEH HEH
>>
File: cara-wots.jpg (159KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
cara-wots.jpg
159KB, 1280x1920px
>>9447031
>>
I just suggest to read a lot. But try to avoid pandering genre stuff, try to stick to unique works that also interest you and just read a lot.

Posting online can also help sometimes :)
>>
>>9447311
Thanks anon, sounds like I just need to get to reading. :o)

Yeah, posting online helps me write better. I try my best to write well on 4chan even (with varying success).
>>
ignore everyone else.

shakespeare's works,
>>
>>9448940
>shakespeare's work
>shakespeare is work
wtf?
>>
>>9449024
lol
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.