[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What am I in for?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 107350.jpg (39KB, 400x592px) Image search: [Google]
107350.jpg
39KB, 400x592px
Is it as tedious and shallow as many say it is? What translation would you recommend picking?
>>
Tedious I get but I've never heard or read anyone call it shallow
>>
Get the Everyman Edition. Prepare to fall in love with Settembrini. Stay for the Snow chapter. Naphta was a beast. One of my favorite novels -- slow to start like ascending the mountain but once you're an inpatient you'll stay for the duration.
>>
>>9445559
Nabokov himself dubbed it topical trash.
>>
>>9445564
Nabokov claimed to dislike a lot of great books. But who are the 'many'?
>>
Its amazing
>>
>>9445567
Females on goodreads.
>>
Read it. I was happy to read it, if I had option of not reading it and reading it, definetly.

>>9445561
Swap the place of Naphta and Settembrini in that phrase :^)
>>
>>9445543
Prepare for maximum comfort as not only the novel deals with a lot of relaxing things (in fact, relaxing is big part of the novel), but also that amazing feeling when you're reading a great book.

And then also prepare for maximum discomfort.

Also:
>>9445561
Seconded.
>>
>>9445543

>tedious

Guaranteed you heard that from a plotpleb.

>>9445581

>Prepare for maximum comfort

This.
>>
Read the John Woods translation. It's a major and needed update.

One of the greatest books I've ever read, I think one of the greatest books of all time.
>>
>>9445572
a.k.a. the spawn of Satan.
>>
>>9445543
A novel about time that will take a lot of time to read, and (sort of) makes a point about it.

Also the ending of the decadent early 20th century bourgeoisie.

You might pick up an interest for Schubert.
>>
I dropped it, the guy is way too focused on showing off his philosophical power level instead of writing a novel.
>>
Get ready for an extremely comfy first half and heartwrenching second half
>>
a bit off-topic, but does anyone ever have to 'force' themselves to get into a good book? i read "if on a winter's night..." and was charmed by the first sentence. trying now to read "the magic mountain" and it's enjoyable, but not as instantly captivating.
>>
>>9447292
It won't be -- it's a journey and I sat on the fence until 2/3 of the way. The Snow chapter blew me away -- it was only at that point that it finally clicked. And the ending sealed it for me.
>>
>>9446119
>tedious
>Guaranteed you heard that from a plotpleb.
This
>Shallow
Literally never heard this criticism
>>
File: Mann.jpg (420KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Mann.jpg
420KB, 800x600px
>>9445543
I have a copy of Buddenbrooks from my recently passed great aunt but since it is from 1931 it is in Fraktur and I it is very tedious to read.
I would feel stupid going out buying a new copy simply to make it easier on myself to read a 700+ page book but then again I might not finish it if it doesn't feel right early on and then becomes infuriating to read Fraktur.
>>
>>9447563
Was your gread aunt a nazi?
>>
Is it true that Thomas Mann was bisexual? I still continue hoping it was made up by some Jew.
>>
>>9449884
That's just a malicious rumour started by his jealous Jewish relatives.
>>
>>9448451
She was a kid during the war so she propably didn't have much of a personnal opinion on nationalsozialism.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.