[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Eckhart Tolle a taoist master?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: ekhart-tolle.jpg (144KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ekhart-tolle.jpg
144KB, 1080x1080px
Is Eckhart Tolle a taoist master?
>>
>>9444617
No, he's not taoist. That would imply he adheres to some kind of taoist principles of doctrines. Tolle's biggest principle is that of no-thought. At that, he is a master, though.
>>
>>9444623
No-thought is a very integral concept of taoism though. A lot of what Tolle wrote resonates strongly with taoism, which is why I'm asking.
>>
>>9444636
Yes, a lot of what he says strongly resonates with bits and pieces of nearly every spiritual tradition, since he is basically communicating a sort of perennial panacea based on the central idea of no-thought. He is more ecclectic than being a master of one school, though.
>>
>>9444623
Don't know if this was a joke, but I laughed
>>
>>9444650
Save the laugh, it's all your my friend.
>>
>>9444617
Tricksy Hobbitses
>>
>>9444636
i am just starting to learn about taoism. i see the advocacy of non-action in wu wei. what is the principle regarding non-thought?

or is 'thinking' in this case only used as a pejorative, as in over-thinking or wrongful thinking?

how can you be a wise sage without ever having a thought?
>>
File: transcendent_smug.jpg (375KB, 1365x1370px) Image search: [Google]
transcendent_smug.jpg
375KB, 1365x1370px
>>9444617
He's not Taoist, he's smug
>>
>>9444830
You are already thinking too much. You're not going to make, young friend.
>>
>>9444935
i wasn't claiming to exemplify taoist philosophy, or that you yourself were not.

i was asking where non-thought is mentioned as a taoist principle

unless taoism means saying what you'd like and refusing the genuinely curious, telling them that they're not going to 'make it,' whatever 'it' is
>>
>>9444617
Eckhart Tolle confuses me. The Power of Now is one of the best books of its sort I've ever read, and has a powerful authenticity to it. But after Tolle got famous, he seems to have gone down the standard guru route, holding pricy 'spiritual' retreats, allowing people to market him like a commodity (or marketing himself, to be less charitable), and so on.
>>
>>9444623
>Tolle's biggest principle is that of no-thought. At that, he is a master, though.
kekerino.
>>
I won't go so far as calling Eckhart Tolle a deliberate fraud, but I do consider him a hack.

By and large, he has succesfully drawn a caricature of Eastern mysticism by engaging in a shallow rhetorical ecleticism, disregarding the context and technical terminology of the source material he claims to be drawing from. What you get is a distilled, tasteless stew consumable for the emotionally agitated masses.

The same thing can be said of pop-mysticism as a whole. If you're interested in studying mysticism, get yourself a reliable translation of first hand sources pertaining to the tradition you're interested in and educate yourself in it's various expressions.
>>
no, just a smug knob.
>>
>>9444830
>>how can you be a wise sage without ever having a thought?
only the rationalists, secular humanists hype thoughts, but once you stick to what you experience, your thoughts disappear, then the body, then consciousness, then to stop being such a normie, you hear the ''four noble truths'' and you get disappointed in ''the five aggregates''
>>
>>9445423
really makes me think

shit
>>
Is Tolle trying to get at non-dualism? Is all Eastern spirituality trying to get at non-dualism?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.