[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oh what significance is the Nigger Jim to the story of Huckleberry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Huck_and_jim_on_raft.jpg (247KB, 643x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Huck_and_jim_on_raft.jpg
247KB, 643x1000px
Oh what significance is the Nigger Jim to the story of Huckleberry Finn?
>>
>>9443851
*Of
>>
>>9443851
To spook english teachers
>>
>>9443851
that raft looks like a dock
>>
He's the vehicle for Huck's development of moral agency. Also he's a character in his own right, moving from charicature to real person through the book (and arguably regressing back in the last 10 chapters)
>>
>>9443851

He's there to humanize black folks in an era where it was common to view them as sub-human. Huckleberry is taught the rules of slavery and comes to question whether they are right, eventually deciding to go against them even knowing what he is doing is "wrong" in the eyes of the law. It's supposed to be a parable for the young south. Twain was an abolitionist. Also do your own homework.
>>
File: 1493506587266.jpg (90KB, 301x284px) Image search: [Google]
1493506587266.jpg
90KB, 301x284px
>>9443851
>what significance is the Nigger
>>
>>9443939
This. I feel as if op made no attempt to figure this out on his own.
>>
>>9443851
More importantly, what was the significance of that weird family grudge thing? Is it a reference or a cultural thing I'm not getting?

Not OP btw
>>
>>9444257
It's probably a reference to the Hatfield's and McCoys, but think about the gang's various stops. Huck is exposed to various role models and ways of living. Most of them are provincial, short-sighted, based on ignorance/superstition/prejudice/base self-interest. The Sheperdsons and the Grangerfords blindly follow a tradition (the feud) out of a sense of honor and family obligation. But no one can even remember what the feud is about and it ultimately gets them killed. This episode is especially traumatic for Huck because his friend in whichever of the families he falls in with gets killed
>>
>>9443851
I felt like he was sort of a father figure to Huck, obviously not at first, but later on, after Huck runs from home and finds Jim he's definitely somewhat of a father figure.
>>
>>9443851
Its a metaphor for AIDS.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.