[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to go after Classical Greek literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: aeschylus.jpg (20KB, 323x411px) Image search: [Google]
aeschylus.jpg
20KB, 323x411px
Right now I'm making an effort to read through Homer, Hesiod, Euripides, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Plato, Aristotle, Herodotus, Thucydides and The Bible.

I was wondering what literature, philosophy and history I should read after Classical Greek literature. There seems to be a wide range of works in Latin within Roman literature and through to Enlightenment/Renaissance (via lingua franca of Europe) and Greek through the Byzantine Empire mostly focusing on history and the theological development of Christianity.

Are there any guides and charts which focus on everything Greek and Latin in post-Classical Greek?
>>
>>9440544
https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>9440953
Damn that's pretty dope. I wish there was something as in depth as that which also talked about essential literature from Greeks to modern times.
>>
>>9441268
http://www.openculture.com/2014/01/harold-bloom-creates-a-massive-list-of-works-in-the-western-canon.html

I think /lit/, in general, doesn't care for Bloom though.
>>
>>9440544
A couple things:

Reading that source material in full will literally take years if you actually try to understand it. Not saying you shouldn't go for it, but there's no rush to plan for "afterwards."

Beyond the source material, you should read at least some secondary material, especially for Plato and Aristotle. You will almost certainly not understand Aristotle without some help, at least at the beginning; and you could literally spend the rest of your life reinterpreting both him and Plato.

There's a bit more classical/pre-classical greek writing (homeric himns, lyric poetry, pindar, aristophanes, xenophon), but there is an absolute mountain of content (much in Greek, much not) originating from the post-classical, most of it coming from the Roman era. There are "roman charts" floating around lit, but they don't fill quite the same role as the corresponding Greek charts; at best the Roman charts will introduce you to SOME of the big names of the Roman era. It's up to you to branch out on your own and decide which genres/writers you care about. Just to give you an idea, whereas classical Greece has Herodotus/Thucydides/Xenophon as its only historians, here are (most of) the Roman era historians (many of them Greek, but writing of Rome):
Livy
Polybius
Tacitus
Suetonius
Appian
Sallust
Caesar
Plutarch
Diodorus
Dionysius
Dio Cassius
Augustan historians
Marcellinus
Herodian
Florus

There is also plenty of poetry. Virgil is the obvious big name, but Ovid commands a lot of respect, as does Catullus, but you can find some slightly lesser known ones, too, like Lucan.

Also while there's no comparable successor to Plato/Aristotle, there are philosophical commentaries scattered throughout Cicero's and Seneca's writings (Cicero's complete works are, from what I know, only available in full from Loeb in 29 volumes, which will cost you about $800 and take months to read if you were to do so in full), along with some epistolary histories (Pliny, Cicero), and some styles that just weren't seen before (Satires, natural history of Pliny). There's also a shitload of content from Plutarch (15? volumes of biography, 14? volumes of philosophy), along with a decent bit from Plotinus/Proclus.

Oh also there is a ton of pre-classical Greek rhetoric, I think like 14 volumes in all from Loeb, the likes of Demosthenes, Aeschines, etc.

Basically the training wheels come off after classical Greece. Arguably the most difficult content will already be under your belt, but there's a certain ease in saying "I'm just going to read all of these guys." The Roman era all but demands that you start being judicious in how and what you read; not everything will be worth your time according to your tastes. Or maybe it will be, and you'll have to spend years getting through it all. You need to discover and sift through the content for your own, because a guide like the ones we have for the Greeks basically cannot be made.
>>
>>9441396

Thanks. Yeah I found a Roman chart that includes some of the names you mentioned including Josephus.

After the Roman Era is it correct to say that a lot of Latin and Greek literature, historiography and philosophy was focused on Christianity? It seems that we have the emergence of Augustine and Jerome and the Patristic thinkers focusing mostly on the development of Christian doctrine and metaphysics (with the Neo-Platonism as a tool) of Christianity. I was curious if you have read through these thinkers and if it was an worthwhile or an interesting endeavour. A lot of the charts I see on here on post-Classical Latin and Greek literature seem to skip over writing on Christianity which to me was really the foundation for the next thousand or so years to the end of the Middle Ages and into the Renaissance.
>>
File: 1473671060190.jpg (2MB, 900x6474px) Image search: [Google]
1473671060190.jpg
2MB, 900x6474px
Watch this
SUCC
>>
Is it worth learning to read attic greek or should I just get a "good" translation of a book?
>>
sophists
>>
>>9442675
Pretty good. Although the Early Christian thought seems pretty lacking. Where are all of the Patristic thinkers? Nazianzus, Gregory of Nyssa, Basil the Great, Chrysostom, Maximus the Confessor etc.
>>
>>9442675
>Heidegger in existentialists and phenomenologists
Sasuga
>>
>>9442665
Honestly I'm not sure about the post-Roman era (I'm still very much working through that time period), but I think you're probably right that Christian thought is going to be the big phase following Rome. I hear Augustine/Aquinas are basically required reading, but I've also heard Jerome mentioned, as you said; I think the "early church fathers" section of loeb's books (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loeb_Classical_Library) should at least give you some idea of what's up.

Again I don't really know anything about Christian thought, and I imagine it gets fairly hairy especially once you consider eastern orthodoxy as well.

In general the charts posted here are just to get the ball rolling. The Greek chart contains most of the content from the classical era, but very few people have actually finished the chart. I've talked to maybe 3 other people here who have read Plato cover to cover, and don't know anyone who has done so with Aristotle. You'll inevitably read something that, in hindsight, wasn't worth the time; but that's part of the process, and is valuable in its own way. Once you make some progress blundering through some Greeks/Romans, you'll be more comfortable picking out books to read from later eras, e.g., Christian thought or more modern histories.

Don't be afraid to bail on writing you don't like, but don't give up because it's "hard." Slog through it and you'll probably be rewarded for your efforts, if only in terms of being more comfortable reading through shit that would make someone else's eyes bleed of boredom.
>>
>>9440544

You've already got enough on your plate to occupy you for years. By the time you get through all of that you should have a pretty good idea of what you're interested and what's out there. Go read some Greek.
>>
>>9443343

Also no Pindar? Read Pindar.
>>
>>9440953
>https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

>no Iamblichus in neoplatonic section
trash
>>
>>9444643
Any specific book(s) you'd recommend? Loeb doesn't offer him so I'm kind of out of my depth
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.