[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

God Emperor of Dune

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

So I'm reading through the series for the first time and just finished this.

I fucking loved it and think it's easily as great as the first one, but I'm left wondering what makes it so divisive. Everyone either thinks it's a masterpiece or that it's garbage.

Thoughts?
>>
Because the narrative and setting feel too detached from those of the first three books?
Because it's the longest and has the least plot and the most philosophical ramblings and people who are not into that will find it meandering and boring?
I've also heard about people who were offended by the themes which are not different from those of the first three books but are most overt here.
>>
Children of Dune had me groaning at Herbert's prose a bit. I noticed him rely on the inexplicable or contradicting a little much in his descriptions, and he started to repeat his phrases a bit like "Wheels within wheels"... Is God Emperor better written? I'd like to hope so if it's his most heady Dune book yet.
>>
File: bernard.jpg (121KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
bernard.jpg
121KB, 1252x1252px
>>9439803
>yet
>>
>>9439803
>yet
Anon I... You might want to sit down for this.
>>
>>9439803
>Children of Dune had me groaning at Herbert's prose a bit.
Honestly, the prose felt cringy for me from the start. I can't say God Emperor gets better.
I feel that sticking to aesthetical prescriptions for form is the least important thing especially when you write sci-fi and I can't agree with /lit/ if they would choose to dismiss a work on this basis.
I find it insightful though a lot of people here will probably say its ideas were stolen from far more complex mythological and philosophical constructs. Still to me being able to synthesize from those your own mythology that shows an actual understanding of how mythology works is remarkable enough.
>>
>>9439006
Most people think the series is garbage because it doesn't get good until god emperor.
>>
>>9439861
>Most people think the series is garbage because it doesn't get good until god emperor
>Most people think the series is garbage
>it doesn't get good until god emperor
>Most people
>Most
>people
>the series is garbage
>it doesn't get good
>until god emperor
>until
>god emperor
>until
>>
>>9439006
The earlier Dune novels contained elements of adventure and suspense which leavened all the big ideas and intellectual challenges. If you didn't want to ponder the impotence of political power in the face of evolutionary pressures, then you could at least enjoy the manoeuvrings of the various power blocs, and the battles and back-stabbing that resulted.

God Emperor, by contrast, was almost pure intellectual musing (some might say pretension), with precious little plot to back it up. It was also a huge slab of exposition designed to set up the following novels. It's thick, stodgy stuff, and not remotely intended to stand on its own merits. I really don't get the notion that it's a high point in the Dune series.
>>
>>9439815
>>9439835
up until that point* my b lol

>>9439858
I didn't meant to sound like a lit snob with my post, prose isn't a make or break thing but in CoD I just started to notice his "style" or his trademarks a bit more than I did in the past two books.
>>
>>9440046
chuckled
>>
>>9439006
it's possible that the focus present in the first few books had started to wander by the end of the sixth, and some autistic redditors can't get out of bed unless they have something to screech about.
>>
>>9440088
>with precious little plot to back it up.

> end of a two thousand year experiment in social containment
> holding everything together by force so that when Leto dies, it all explodes
> waiting for the explosion
>
>
>
> precious little plot

i guess he could have thrown in a few car chases.
>>
>>9439006
It's the weirdest, most philosophical and least action oriented of the series. That's what makes it stand out, especially after Children of Dune which was an incoherent borefest to me. I can see people who enjoyed Children of Dune have an opposite reaction to God Emperor.
>>
>>9441388
>i guess he could have thrown in a few car chases.
Where do far reaching plot points establish themselves in God Emperor? In the establishing few chapters and when leto dies. Literally everything between those points means next to nothing in terms of plot. I actually liked GEoD, at least better than Children, but that doesn't change the fact that the book was basically Herbert shoving his hand up the ass of one non-character and one underdeveloped character and talking to himself about what it's like to be him for 500 pages
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.