[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Left Hand of Darkness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: left_hand_leguin.jpg (43KB, 316x546px) Image search: [Google]
left_hand_leguin.jpg
43KB, 316x546px
Is this worth a summer read?

I'm worried it's going to be overwrought 60s M E S S A G E type sci-fi.
>>
>>9435930
I haven't read it, but i've seen it talked about here before and other anons seemed to enjoy it. That cover is also pretty great.
>>
Wow try not to be so obviously autistic
>>
>>9435930
>I'm worried it's going to be overwrought 60s M E S S A G E type sci-fi.

It is
>>
>>9435930
It's a good read with an interesting mix of different cultures, and the second half is a survival narrative straight from Shackleton or Captain Scott.

But of course, it is Ursula Le Guin. PKD put it aptly when he said her stuff comes straight from the Berkeley political science department with a few literary flourishes.

But it is undoubtedly well written, and its contrast of a beurocratic techno-state, and a more anarchic state, is interesting.
>>
>>9435930

So, that's how it will be? I wonder how long this house of cards will stay up. It is ironic that I am absolutely not in the wrong.
>>
>>9435930

It's not like that at all. People overrate the social aspects of the book when it's a really moving and well written story.
>>
>>9435930
the gender stuff is really in the background of the book, it's just a good adventure/political/etc. novel
>>
>>9436137
political in that the main character has to navigate through the politics the planet is currently engaged in
>>
Fuck no. Basically just superficial criticisms of men hidden behind uninspired science fiction. If you're looking for some LeGuin I've heard Lavinia is much better
>>
Like everything Le Guin it hasn't aged well, her understanding of political theories has always been incredibly sub-par and it has only gotten worse.
>>
>>9435930

r8 plz

>>>9436497
>>
The writing is incredibly dull. Hack authors use first person to sound interesting, Leguin forgot the interesting part. One dimensional characters and 3 paragraphs a page make a thoroughly forgettable novel.
>>
>>9435930
I went into it expecting to cringe through all the gender stuff but it ended up being the best part of the book.
>>
>>9436612
First person can be pretty great. Virginia Woolf used it very well. I agree that it's mostly used by hacks, though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.