[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I often hear that the meaning of words is bound to change if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: diccionario.jpg (41KB, 610x407px) Image search: [Google]
diccionario.jpg
41KB, 610x407px
I often hear that the meaning of words is bound to change if enough people use them differently but I've always felt that's god damn retarded.
At what point do we put a limit on this kind of mentality? Facism comes to mind with people turning its meaning into whatever fit them, it was the same with Communism not so long ago.
If meanings are bound to change at the will of ignorant masses, doesn't that make words fucking pointless?
>>
>>9434677
>ignorant masses
but words are used to convey meaning, op. as long as they can do that, theyre doing their job.
>>
>>9434736
but what is the purpose of the meaning a word is created for if people will just twist it to fit their needs in the future, even ignoring already existing vocabulary
>>
>>9434677
> could care less
This has literally the exact opposite meaning to what is intended, yet retards use and understand its meaning... go figure.
>>
>>9434749
words are just tools, if the masses end up changing the definition of a word like you describe theres nothing you can do about it. society has deemed it a better use of the tool. You shouldn't/can't force language to be used.
look at the whole ms mrs thing and the preferred speech legislation in canada
>>
>>9434769
>has deemed it a better use of the tool.
>better
based on what? the meanings don't change for the better, they only change so people can keep throwing it around without ever caring for its meaning
Maybe you can't force someone to use the right word but the least we could do is force professional or state indentities to respect the meaning of words instead of polluting the world with more misinformation and stupidity
I mean, there isn't even a good argument to change the meaning of a word when there is an already existing one for it, it's completely baffling to do so
>>
>>9434779

Words are arbitrary anyway, many of the words we use today certainly didn't originally mean what we use them for, and it doesn't really matter. Words exist as a basis for the exchange of meaning. As long as you can reasonably understand what someone else is saying, words are doing their job. Caring about more than that is certified autism
>>
>>9434677
>god damn
>retarded
>fucking
Are you doing this deliberately? You're using a bunch of words which have obviously acquired new meanings since they were 'invented'. Physician, heal thyself or just stop being so god damn fucking retarded
>>
File: 1393989988361.jpg (111KB, 848x900px) Image search: [Google]
1393989988361.jpg
111KB, 848x900px
>>9434784
>>9434787
I am well aware this is nothing new and that there is a lot of words we use commonly that had different meanings in the past, but that just made me realize the importance of having some manner of respect for words and their original meaning
is it really autistic to desire some manner of line for the alteration of words?
>>
>>9434822
As anon said, words are tools, and tools change over time.
Horses did a lot for us. Horses are great. That doesn't mean we should abandon automobiles to readopt them.
>>
>>9434822
It's not artistic, but the changing of words is nothing to worry about. Most of these kinds of changes take place over a pretty large span of time, so you'll probably only ever witness a few different words slightly changing meaning.
>>
>>9434677
>Facism comes to mind with people turning its meaning into whatever fit them, it was the same with Communism not so long ago.
A forced change is different than a natural change.
>>
We use language to codify our perception of reality, not the other way around.

When a meaning gets twisted it's almost never a coincidence or mistake, because language can never be independent from its structure (life).

When fascists and communists play with words they're not abusing language, they're abusing reality and there's no official institution that can stop that without bending the rules themselves.

There are many institutions with the mission of preserving the structure of specific languages (Accademia della Crusca comes in mind for Italian), but they continuously have to make way for new rules and meanings.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.