[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know what this quote means?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Specifically the "about must, and about must go"?
>>
There is no direct path to truth, you have to go around and around.
>>
>>9433882
I believe this quote is about the difficult journey that must be embarked if one hopes to reach truth. After he explains the arduous journey, he explains that those that eventually reach the summit must begin the difficult process and scale the huge hill.

The hill of course represent the obstacles that one must conquer before discovering what is true
>>
>>9434195
also, it seems to impart an obligation on the man to face and conquer this challenge.
>>
>>9434195
>>9434197
I don't see it as so much an obligation but that He who chases after the Truth is someone who Must, because it is in his nature. Of course, "Must" here could solely be in the sense of "Must climb the hill" but considering it's Donne, it's probably both.
>>
>>9434211
I don't understand how "someone who Must, because it is in his nature." is not an obligation.

Upon rereading it I concur that it speaks of those that climb the hill. "Will" in the second line gives the condition to those that choose to strive for truth. I think if he was implying there were a selected few who had it as he duty he would have omitted the word "will".
>>
>>9434220
>will
>used to express desire, choice, willingness, consent, or in negative constructions refusal
>Merriam-Webster
Whoever wants to find the truth has to climb the hill. What part is hard to understand?
>>
>>9434240
I already made that correction in my previous post so I don't understand why you felt the need to comment.
>>
>>9434220
Obligations to me are generally grounded externally and motivated by ethics principles/guidance. "I'm obligated to do so because of my own desires" doesn't seem quire right to me.

And sure, I don't know if Donne was indicated a 'selected few' or not, but those with the Will to Truth, choosing to pursue it---the mindset or Will generally correlates with persistence. So those who chase Truth do so with no grave issue toward the 'huge hill' that is 'cragged and steep.'
>>
>>9434308
Well, depends on how you interpret "selected few". Who selects them? "Selected few" sounds not so much like some sort of secular term as a result of divine agency. It seems to me that many religion apologists equate the concept of "divine agency" with "free will". I.e. if you chose to seek Truth by your free will it is because you were selected by God to do so.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.