[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aus lit with class differences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Anyone have any recommendations for Australian writing (doesn't have to be good), which shows class difference, or features highly classed characters or themes, working class or other? Short stories or novels. Even memoirs would be okay, or poetry.

Extra points for fiction featuring first person narrators, retrospection, melancholy, or false memories. Even better if there is a conflict or friendship between characters of different classes.

If no one has any suggestions, then I'm happy for this to be just an Aus lit discussion thread.
>>
>class differences
We got a time-traveler from the 70's here
>>
The Secret River by Kate Grenville, perhaps?

I read it in high school and it was quite good. If you have Netflix there's a two part TV/movie adaptation which was also great.
>>
It's a film but check out Ghosts... Of the Civil Dead. It's a minimalist brutal prison film that has odd little moments of poetry here and there, and is a film I would call 'important' if I was that kind of person.
Also features Nick Cave screaming 'NIGGER' at an Abo dude.
>>
>>9429759
>We got a time-traveler from the 70's here

Never said it had to be set now. But I reject your inference that class doesn't exist now.

>>9429767
>>9429775

Thanks anons, those both sound like good suggestions.
>>
>>9429759
The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith.

its literally only about class.

Basically an abo works hard to get what whitey has, marries a white, does good, gets fucked up by the class hes trying to imitate. He then gos full Rambo, kills whitey, kidnaps a teacher (who just lectures him on class).

this is the book that changed laws in Australia, making it illegal for white people to write from an abo perspective.
>>
File: le capsicum man.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
le capsicum man.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>9429764
>thinking there aren't class differences present in Australian society today
we got ourselves a Liberal voter
>>
File: The_Magic_Pudding.jpg (21KB, 220x282px) Image search: [Google]
The_Magic_Pudding.jpg
21KB, 220x282px
I haven't yet read The Jerilderie Letter by Ned Kelly yet but I imagine it's all there.

Gould's Book of Fish by Richard Flanagan is related to class systems in Australia, but I thought it was fucking trash. I can't stand any of Flanagan's work though. In my mind he is by far the shittest Australian author of any renown.

Off the topic of class differences though, have you guys read much Murnane?
>>
>>9429759
>If no one has any suggestions, then I'm happy for this to be just an Aus lit discussion thread.
That's what it will be. We've got fuck all so asking for something specific is a waste of time.
>>
>>9429813

Just the Plains. His new book sounds interesting but the library doesn't have it reee
>>
>>9429813
Have you read Narrow Road to the Deep North? I thought it was really beautiful, but it could have used an editor to cut it down. Too much 'muh suffering'
>>
>>9429813
>I haven't yet read The Jerilderie Letter by Ned Kelly yet but I imagine it's all there.

i've read the letter and it was mainly complaining that the irish cops who put his mum in prison for horse theft were no better than the criminals they claimed to be apprehending.

i guess you could work some kind of class conflict into taking irish refugees from what England had done to their homeland, sending them to the other side of the planet and turning them into enforcers for the regime that oppressed them, but i would think that's a very tangled ball of rape snakes.
>>
Fredy Neptune
>>
in my skin by Kate Holden. girl gets addicted to heroin and works in a brothel to support herself.

this sporting life by David Storey. not Australian but the parallels are absolutely there. working class lad who plays rugby league with typical working class failed relationships.
>>
>>9429759
Neville Shute.
>>
I have exactly one book by an Aussie writer: Yesterday's Dust. I've read about half of it. It's about poor people in a rural area and Ithink there was some incest and patricide involved.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.