[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you realise that text based adventure games are the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: text.png (58KB, 1181x593px) Image search: [Google]
text.png
58KB, 1181x593px
When did you realise that text based adventure games are the highest forms of literature?
>>
>>9428287
Poor bait.
Pls post some recommendations anyway.
>>
There was one I played a long time ago, I got stuck in a missile silo and saw a goblin I think. Vague, I know.

>inb4 go to /vg/
>>
>>9428386
He is technically correct, too bad that no actual literary genius will ever even begin to consider this idea.
>>
>>9428400
People like to think games have so much potential for stories, but the truth is theyre limiting as fuck. Nevermind resources intensive.

Even in visual novels the best ones are almost always linear.
>>
File: 5569632.png (2MB, 1158x1710px) Image search: [Google]
5569632.png
2MB, 1158x1710px
Post some good erotic ones, sempai.
>>
File: logoturtle.png (866B, 562x386px) Image search: [Google]
logoturtle.png
866B, 562x386px
>>9428287
I realized it when I was ten years old. I remember writing a bit where the player had to take down a dead body from a tree because the rope would be needed later. Now I know more about literature, so I just write that.
>>
Recommend text based adventures!
>>
>>9428537

Start with the Zorks
>>
is a ASCII an literature ?
>>
>>9428459
anon is correct
>>
I played MUDs and ran one from junior high to highschool, its how I learned programming and there was depth to the worlds and plots that emerged

this is the old one I ran

arsonmud DOT webs DOT com

in another MUD which was set in the Star Wars EU, I became the first non-human Emperor in the game's history, and reigned in an era of Pax Imperium, commissioned a bunch of public works projects because my character's origin was as a starship architect, personally oversaught the design and construction of space stations and extended trade to the Republic, was pretty great until an edgelord Sith powerplayer ruined the RP by playerkilling me for no reason other than the fact that Star Wars without the Wars part is pretty boring in a text game which is the general problem with MUDs : people make the mistake of designing or playing them like action games, and the gameplay will get boring quickly without continuous additional coding

>>9428537

http://www.mudconnect.com/
>>
>>9428287
>text based adventure games
you poor fucking retarded swamp baby rooster shitdog.

Dwarf Fortress is the pinnacle of literature.
>>
File: Dwarf Fortress Wallace.png (770KB, 937x528px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Fortress Wallace.png
770KB, 937x528px
>>9428740
>>
>>9428287

Has anyone written a text adventure in the gigabyte range for every possible scenario and action?

There are people that like to write, and txt games aren't that hard to make compared to other games.
>>
>>9428779

/lit/ should do it

hell, /lit/ should make a MUD
>>
>>9428459
>People like to think games have so much potential for stories, but the truth is theyre limiting as fuck

This is a feature of the current situation, not a feature of videogames in themselves. If videogames were as easy to make as it is for a writer to write a novel, this separation into high and low and high art would not make sense.
The problem is that at the moment this medium is not available to the real literary geniuses out there: they still can't hold complete control over their projects, since they're so expensive and since they're inevitably linked to either the corporative or the start-up mindset (in both paths money is still the priority), and even if they manage to do so, chances are that the technology that is required for them to make a great piece of art is simply not there.

When the art of making games will be perfected we will get our Dante and Mozart in this medium.
>>
>>9428817

this, literature is over 6,000 years old while the electronic game medium is barely over half a century young
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.