[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things you didn't notice about DFW's work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: DFW_Rhodes.jpg (54KB, 396x295px) Image search: [Google]
DFW_Rhodes.jpg
54KB, 396x295px
To start:

His biographers are mostly all named David -- D Lipsky, D.T. Max (?), Dave Eggers. Plus he did a piece about Dave Markson's Wittgenstein's Mistress, and David Lynch's directorial work.
>>
>>9428204
he really liked tennis
>>
>>9428204
if he didn't commit suicide and was instead hit by a car his work would be judged entirely differently which proves how intellectually incompetent most people are who talk about his work.
>>
I'm not sure about this one; one told me about it: starting with I think IJ, Wallace was into controlling the layout of words on the 2-dimensional page. For simple proof of this, the phrase "top and / bottom" is split between the bottom of page 3 and the top of page 4. For a while in IJ he puts together little tableaux on each page, until he gets tired of it and stops; the explanation for stopping is given in the section starting on 144 about the rise and fall of 2-way videophony. He gets in a couple good pages, though, I think. I might have made a lot of this up.

p. 64 is a mini biography which seems depressingly short and suicidal, except for the fact that it contains footnote 26, which includes the filmography, which includes IJ (V) recursively. It also includes a footnote pun; he puts 25 on the word December to make Dec 25th. The page ends with an "untimely suicide at 54" which certainly would be untimely, as Wallace's scheduled bucket-kicking was at 46.
>>
>>9428215
Please reread this and think about it for a second. Thank you.
>>
He's certainly lucky he wasn't hit by a car, or otherwise all the "I'm going to kill myself" would have been lost for all time. Luckily everything went according to plan and he kicked it at midnight on 9/11/08, rescheduled from 11/11 after the towers. Look for 11s anywhere he talks about suicide; e.g. Clipperton's 11-shot glock, footnote 11 on page 54 (the age JOI nukes his head), footnote 11 on page 207 of E&M while he's talking about "severability" and the "schnitt" method, etc.
>>
This one's pretty cut-and-dried, but at least that means it's probably true: pp 986 to 993 of IJ are the filmography footnotes, and in fact it was the years 1986 to 1993 that Wallace had been actively writing, before starting IJ seriously in 93. He attempted it a few times before; I think the earlier attempts in the filmography might correspond to like Westward and Broom? Or just more unreleased drafts.
>>
he's not actually dead he makes video games for bioware now under a different name
>>
>>9428293
He died 9/12 though
>>
>>9428433
Don't let a scheduling error on his part ruin a perfectly good decades long plan
>>
>>9428395
hahah
>>
>>9428204
The title of Infinite Jest comes from the work of an obscure English playwright.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.