[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

They walked on into the dark and they slept like dogs in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

They walked on into the dark and they slept like dogs in the sand and had been sleeping so when something black flapped up out of the night ground and perched on Sproule's chest. Fine fingerbones stayed the leather wings with which it steadied as it walked upon him. A wrinkled pug face, small and vicious, bare lips crimped in a horrible smile and teeth pale blue in the starlight. It leaned to him. It crafted in his neck two narrow grooves and folding its wings over him it began to drink his blood.
Not soft enough. He woke, put up a hand. He shrieked and the bloodbat flailed and sat back upon his chest and righted itself again and hissed and clicked its teeth.
The kid was up and had seized a rock but the bat sprang away and vanished in the dark. Sproule was clawing at his neck and he was gibbering hysterically and when he saw the kid standing there looking down at him he held out to him his bloodied hands as if in accusation and then clapped them to his ears and cried out what it seemed he himself would not hear, a howl of such outrage as to stitch a caesura in the pulsebeat of the world. But the kid only spat into the darkness of the space between them. I know your kind, he said. What's wrong with you is wrong all the way through you.

What did he mean by this?
>>
Seems to me like Sproule got scared by the bat and after the commotion he saw the kid standing over him. In his position he took it as the kid looking down on him and pitying him (or he thought the kid caused him the harm), so he raged over it. The kid saw him act shittily and was disgusted by the behavior.

At least, that's the scene at face value.
>>
Got about 100 pages of this left. I love The Judge but does anyone find Glanton a more interesting and endearing character?
>>
>>9424277
Probably has something to do with mistrusting other humans is a product of the devil or something (given that the bat is traditionally a symbol of the devil). Or rather evil is not trusting other humans. Note the "accusation" and "darkness of the space between". Showing that the relationship between humans is like moving around in the dark due to limited consciousness but the root of the problems between humans deals with this darkness between. Idk
>>9424466
Idk if you've gotten to this section yet but there's a single sentence where McCarthy describes glantons eyes when theyre sitting around the camp fire...one of yhe most powerful lines in the book. If I recall correctly it is in the same chapter the judge gives his speech regarding bleeding the world of its strangeness. Could be wrong though
>>
>>9424528

Was that with the bats when they all sat around the camp fire? I liked that sequence too.
>>
>>9424528
Would anyone be able to dig up the bit about Glanton's eyes? I'd love to read it.
>>
>>9424613
Was it " That night Glanton stared long into the embers of the fire. All about him his men were sleeping but much was changed. So many gone, defected or dead. The Delawares all slain. "
>>
>>9424640
Not that anon, but I'm guessing that's not it considering that passage is not about his eyes.
>>
>>9424651
My apologies anon i am baked and i mixed up the word eyes with staring.
>>
>>9424651
>>9424640
>>9424613
>>9424586
>>9424528
Just found it. It is that part. Id suggest just reading 252-262. My favorite part of the book at least. Glanton at the fire, judge on teleology, the coin trick, and the judge on war.
>>
>>9424277
Which publication of the book has this cover? I collect each version I can find and have yet to see this one.
>>
That cover is really cool. Is it still available?
>>
He saw the apathy the kid felt towards horror and brutality. It's implied that the kid is sociopathic. It also hints towards this at the beginning of the book when it said he had a hunger or taste for violence, I forgot which.
>>
>>9424698
>>9424683
Not OP, but I always suspected it was just a really good fan-made cover. Never seen the cover myself but I would probably buy it in a heartbeat if I do.
>>
>>9424277
>What's wrong with you is wrong all the way through you.

Did the Kid say that or Sproule?
>>
>>9424277
To me it has to do with "held out his bloodied hands as if in accusation".. he instantly sees that its not for help, but to cast blame. Which is basically what people keep doing throughout the book.
>>
>>9424708
There isn't a single character in that book that isn't a sociopath except the ladies that help out the idiot and maybe Tobin.
>>
>>9426614
oh shit i forgot about the ladies and the idiot
i gotta read this again
>>
Is James Franco playing the retarded guy in the cage or Toadvine? Could see him as both.
>>
Sproule is a coward and unable to deal with the world on its own terms.
The kid is disgusted by this, justifiably so.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.