[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

William T. Memellman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: vollmann-in-drag.jpg (52KB, 600x290px) Image search: [Google]
vollmann-in-drag.jpg
52KB, 600x290px
>dude whores
>and more whores
>and foreign whores
>and whores with dicks
>i fucking hate technology lmao

Is really what this "writer" amounts to?
>>
File: 18366688.jpg (114KB, 424x486px) Image search: [Google]
18366688.jpg
114KB, 424x486px
Did you forget:

>dude violence
>dude natives
>dude front matter lmao
>>
>>9420511
Either this is the worst bait of the day, or you're the dumbest person on this dumpster-fire of a board. You're a winner regardless, anon. Keep up the good work.
>>
>>9420524
t. vollman whore
>>
They thought he was the Unabomber for awhile.
>>
>>9420545
No, I just actually read books (I know, it's hard to imagine), including a few of his.
>>
its a shame /lit/ keeps chasing po-mo novelists. there's value in the movement but dig up some other stuff once in a while. vollman and gass aren't good.
>>
>>9421320
Gass is legit despite the memes. He's just hard to fully appreciate because you need to be in the right mood to really get far into his books.

Vollman on the other hand is pure trash.

Also I wouldn't say /lit/ even cares about postmodernists so much as maximalists. You'll almost never see anyone talking about authors like Hawkes, Elkin, or Barth.
>>
>>9420568
lmao
>>
>>9421355
I love all of the authors you mentioned, but a few of Vollmann's novels rank in my top 50. How is he trash, exactly? Have you read any of his work? I think the Seven Dreams series is one of the most ambitious and well researched works on American literature.
>>
>>9421355
>>9420511
>>9420521
good posts guys
>>
>>9420568
thn they thought he was that guy posting anthrax just after 9/11
>>
why do guys who use street hookers all dress like pic related??
>>
Vollmann might be too sincere for me, unironically. I started reading the rainbow stories and it was too documentarian for me. And his prose is...bad. Im not particularly sure why I should care about these skinheads and Vollmann isnt helping to convince me. I wont convince him of exploitation yet but Im not sure it isnt exploitation either. Hes pretty much a grad student who actually went out into the world. I probably have to keep reading though
>>
>>9422794
I meant accuse him
>>
hope he gets the nobel prize.
>>
>>9422794
Reader one of his tomes. They are better than any of his short stuff. Read The Dying Grass and tell me his prose is bad.
>>
>>9422931
i read it and it's bad

just shitting out lists of synonyms and related words in a paragraph is not good prose
>>
File: 1302551794103.cached[1].jpg (204KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1302551794103.cached[1].jpg
204KB, 1200x800px
>>9422945
>>
>>9422945
>he didn't read it
>>
>>9423014
oh yea theres also
>le quirky formatting

vollmeme is a hack accept it
>>
>>9422172
Fuck off
>>
>>9420511

According to the "people" who write for the New Yorker even being a literal transvestite is still oppression:

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/mansplaining-cross-dressing
>>
>>9423036
>he's this mad that people finally took the time to read his hack author and realize it's garbage
>>
>>9423030
Sure thing bud, just don't come bitching on here when he wins a Nobel before DeLillo.
>>
>>9420524
/thread
>>
>>9423137
delillo is shit too

nobel isnt going to an american for another 20 years now that dylan got it
>>
>>9423146
>>9420524
samefag
>>
>>9423148
why is DeLillo shit? Was about to start reading him
>>
>>9423151
No, I read the whole thread and agreed with this comment. Are you incapable of admitting you have more than one enemy left?
>>
>>9423162
he's not shit but he wrote a lot of books and only a few are good

just read white noise and come back if you like it
>>
>>9423151
>samefag
You're desperate friendo, I wrote one of those. It's so pathetic that every time I come on this board there's someone who is either too dumb to understand something, or too lazy to actually read a book, using childish arguments to criticize a book they've never read.
>>
>>9423148
You're dumber than I thought.
>>
I read one of his short stories and thought it was lame, but I'm 1/3 through Kissing the Mask now and it's comfy as heck non-fiction. The prose isn't epick, he's not a master stylist, but I think it's admirable that he actually goes out and lives with grimy people in order to write about them.

Has anyone read his massive book on violence? What are some of its main points?
>>
>>9423162
he's not shit anon I've read three books of his and all were very rewarding. I'm going to try to read maybe three more this year.
>>
>>9423386
I've read 5 of his books. Each one was worth it. He's just one of those authors that people are too afraid to read, so they come on here and talk shit since it's less work. /lit/ is terrified of long books, it's hilarious and sad.

>where should I start with X? I don't want to read something long because what if it's too hard
>>
>>9423434
I mean the first one I tried to read was Underworld but dropped that. The works of his I've finished (Point Omega, Mao II and Dead Zone) are all short to medium length. I think I needed more convincing and experience before I tackled Underworld which I might move on to after I finish White Noise and maybe his first novel. It doesn't seem like he wrote many long books though. Libra and Underworld are long but I don't know of any others? Unless 300 pages is long. To me a book is long when it's after the 350 mark. Not super long but somewhat long. It becomes definitely long at 500 pages. I've typed the word long so much it doesn't seem like a word any more but a weird sound my mouth makes.
>>
>>9423369
the interviews he does on "bookworm" are good.

here's the RURD one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ntVpQVPvEE

I read riding towards everywhere and found its gushing writing style rewarding. its a wonderfully meditative book
>>
>>9421355
I have a theory for this desu. The sort of disconnected, infodumpy, paranoid prose you'd expect from maximalism fits perfectly with people used to image boards. The impossibility of focusing in the whole is very similar to what you experience on chans.
>>
>>9423527
whoa
>>
>>9422195
post him on /fa/ lmao
>>
>>9423079
Degenerates never should have made a pact with the left. Trading patriarchy for bureaucracy was a bad deal.
>>
>>9423466
I would give my left nut for Silverblatt to interview Pynchon.
>>
>>9423455
>calls himself a reader
>scared of long books
>he wasn't going to be spending that time reading anyway
>/lit/
>>
>>9423079
>>9423676
At least a leftist like Zizek has the metaphorical and literal balls to call this shit what it is: psychological pathology.
>>
>>9423676
Who is Degenerates? A Greek philosopher?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.