[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suffering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1487448169039.jpg (273KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1487448169039.jpg
273KB, 900x1200px
>Is suffering necessary in human existence? Can one find joy in suffering?

I think suffering is essential to the human experience. We seek to eradicate suffering in our day to day life. We avoid it at all cost. But it is absolutely necessary. Without suffering, how can we know what it is like to be happy? How can we know happiness if we don't first know suffering? So why, at least in modern western culture, do we see suffering as something to avoid? Furthermore, If one finds joy in suffering, does that experience still remain to be suffering?
>>
>I joined a frat bc gang violence is scary
>>
>>9420367
if you have something worth fighting for, you are ready to suffer.
>>
>>9420386
Maybe the key is to find meaning in the suffering. Meaningless suffering is painful, meaningful suffering is priceless.
>>
>>9420389
i mean if you're already suffering and don't know what the meaning is in it, you have goofed.

it's like sitting on a hot stove and, like, trying to invent air conditioning

try doing something else
>>
>>9420395
What about suffering that you can't control? Like living through a famine. Or forced labour in a gulag. One cannot just "try doing something else".
>>
This argument is so retarded that it actually causes people to flip the other way.
>>
>>9420411
Well, go on and explain yourself. I don't know if what I am saying is just drunk ramblings, or if there's a point to any of this. Tell me why you disagree.
>>
>>9420420
It's hedonism, a philosophy that has been laughed at for thousands of years.

The mind suffers because it cannot make sense of the world. If the world were different, in a way that is "better" at accommodating humans, the humans would eventually see the arbitrary seams where the world was stitched together in order to better serve them, and the inability to understand these seams would once against bring about suffering.

The world could be different, but it could never be different "for" us.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
Pleasure is the lifeblood of (Western) consumer capitalism. Happiness is both pleasure and suffering experienced meaningfully. Meaningless pleasure is as unpleasant as suffering

the difficulty (and moral imperative) of today is to not enjoy yourself
>>
>>9420466
That's fucking stupid.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.