[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is one book you recommend?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: jgkdsldada_612x380-2.jpg (59KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
jgkdsldada_612x380-2.jpg
59KB, 612x380px
I want to get into reading but I need some recommendations. Sure I can go to "/lit/'s top 100 books" but there are so many options. So what is one book you recommend?

Books I've read so far:
-Devil in the White City
-On the Beach
-The Pearl
-Of Mice and Men
-Fahrenheit 451 (favorite one so far)

P.S.
I didnt read many of the "classic" books usually read in high school (i.e. A Clockwork Orange, Lord of the Flies, etc.) because my English classes kept assigning fucking WW2 books, excluding Slaughter House 5..
>>
Heart of Darkness
>>
One of the best novels I've ever read
>>
>>9420348
Wuthering Heights. A great masterpiece that is easy to understand and doesn't really require any prior reading.
>>
File: 11438.jpg (19KB, 300x475px) Image search: [Google]
11438.jpg
19KB, 300x475px
>>9420352
Or this, if you're looking for something a little easier. Sorry for posting two.
>>
Stoner
>>
>>9420356
Nah it's fine, as long as it isn't a giant list then it's ok. Thanks!
>>
>>9420348
what were some of the WWII books? I would recommend the books Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami and a Don DeLillo novel, probably Point Omega which might have some parts you'll want to slow down to be able to digest/understand better around the middle.
>>
File: skylark.jpg (35KB, 297x475px) Image search: [Google]
skylark.jpg
35KB, 297x475px
skylark
>>
>>
>>9420348
how was the devil in the white city?

also, if you liked fahrenheit 451 maybe give 1984 a try?
>>
>>9420348
Mother Courage and Her Children
>>
File: 1490828312783.jpg (450KB, 1244x1642px) Image search: [Google]
1490828312783.jpg
450KB, 1244x1642px
>>9420455
seconded Stoner is sublime. Also I would try to give the classics a go. The penguin classics translations of the Iliad and the Odyssey are pretty good. If thats not your thing, I really enjoyed Sidhartha and the unbearable lightness of being.
>>
In Search of Lost Time

Learn French first
>>
>>9420700
Norwegian Wood is a pretty boring (and, to be honest, a bit shit) starting point for Murakami. Wind Up Bird or Kafka or maybe Hardboiled Wonderland would be much better choices
>>
File: 28921.jpg (29KB, 302x475px) Image search: [Google]
28921.jpg
29KB, 302x475px
>>9420348
>>
I love East of Eden, its pretty long (for a newer reader) but is definitely worth it.
>>
Halldor Laxness's Independent People is great.
>>
Start from the very beginning with The Illiad and work your way up.
>>
Brave New World
>>
>>9422201
>he didn't do this
Don't listen to this psued
>>
>>9420348
I really like PKD
>>
I'd recommend The Moviegoer by Walker Percy, but I don't know if anyone would back me up on that. Also check out Upton Sinclair.
>>
>>9420355
Gets a little excessive, but I love that book
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.