[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>when does this get good? I am on chapter four of pic related.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: catch 22.jpg (24KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
catch 22.jpg
24KB, 311x475px
>when does this get good?
I am on chapter four of pic related. It's kinda funny but does it ever become more than just insane conversations?
>>
>>9419696
shamelessly samefagging here but I forgot to mention that I really appreciate how beats this novel is. it's written like Heller is shouting at you
>points for style
>>
Things will make more sense. Later chapters fill in details that are missing at the beginning. Events are presented out of chronological order.

Things that were funny or non-sensical turn out to be some grim shit.
>>
>>9419696
The initial goofiness is there to lull you into a false sense of security to some extent. I only got about halfway through before putting it down to read other stuff and not picking it back up yet, but basically a lot of the wackiness belies an underbelly of genuine desperation and despair.

I don't think it's anywhere near as great as its reputation indicates it is, but there's more to it than silly conversations and paradox gags.
>>
Stopped reading when they left the hospital because it was so damn comfy in there.
>>
Hm, I do enjoy nonsense conversations which appeal to my inability to communicate. I think I'll check it out.
>>
>>9419696
The more you read, the more it starts coming together. Plus it's funny, which smooths the way for you a lot.
>>
>>9419835
hey, they go back again
>>
just finished it yesterday, it does drag a little for the first 200 pages but after that it's great. one of the funniest and most human books I've read in a while.
>>
>>9421108
And again

Milos my favorite character
>>
I thought /lit/ hated this book
>>
>>9421235
Only when redditors try to claim it's the greatest thing ever. It's like Vonnegut done right in certain ways.
>>
I felt it has a good start, but it gets a bit overbearing towards the middle since he keeps throwing characters and situations which don't seem to amount to anything, but if you power through that it gets really good
>>
>>9419704
It's only samefagging if you pretend to be someone else.
>>
>>9419704
>it's written like Heller is shouting at you
someone read the preface
>>
>>9419730
This. Catch 22 is a postmodern nightmare under the guise of a comedy. A little like how Gravity's Rainbow is an Adam Sandler movie under the guise of a desolate landscape.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.