[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

zen and the art of narcissism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: zencover1.jpg (2MB, 1224x1584px) Image search: [Google]
zencover1.jpg
2MB, 1224x1584px
>I want to write a book about how smart I am but I don't want to seem vain...
>I know! I'll write a 'not-auto biography' about this genius philosopher who just happens to be me! I went through electro-shock therapy so I think that's appropriate subject-author distance.
>And I'll call the tales of the condescending lectures I give to my friends a 'Chautauqua.' It's very quaint and it normalizes my behavior by making it seem like an American tradition!

This is classic behavior for the 'Silent Generation' (who I wish had stayed silent). They considered themselves those who said what others had been too stupid to say, doers of what others had been too stupid to do. The Kerouacs, the Fondas, the Nicholsons, the Bukowskis, the Warhols; all those who enjoyed the unrivaled economic success of the post-WW2 American Empire while pretending to finally find 'the truth of the matter.' Easy Rider Harley's filled with cheap and plentiful fuel, driven on highways built by Eisenhower, paid for by tenureships in unneeded public universities of a student loan debt trap in its infancy. And you know they collected their retirements at the end of it all.
>>
File: IMG_7947.jpg (43KB, 309x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7947.jpg
43KB, 309x499px
There were a lot of 70s books that aged poorly.
>>
>>9418316

>Peeing myself was a religious experience
>>
>>9418316
As a road trip novel I actually really enjoyed ZatAoMM. I also enjoyed the parts about Richard McKeon. Past that, the book is just an earnest defense of sophistry, which is fine for what it is I suppose.

Pirsig's 'Lila' is better in terms of his 'metaphysics of quality' theory, FWIW.
>>
>>9418316
Nice.

So now on to a Huysman-like subduing of the masses with fluff on white toast, or a satiation not with scared cows, but with any base materialism a la Atomised?

I think it's way more interesting to see how this book still resonates with secular myth addicts that can't help but need any guidance to be packaged in sophisticated novelty. Which I find pleasant.

Basically now we're going to get the same as the religious apologists that applauded The Life of Pi, except more Christian reactionary, and far less fantastic.

I think the book works well as basic masculine self-help book for burn outs, which is why it's still on my shelf. Sounds like you people have god locked up in a box somewhere ready to pull out either to torture for fun or to use to scrub the filth from your imaginations.
>>
>>9418356
I like that book. It's just inspirational and harmless.
>>
>>9419095
>sounds like you people have god locked up
I don't follow.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.